Thursday, August 5, 2010

Design Decisions

I wanted to put some heart blocks in this panel for my friend's quilt. I prefer hearts that are slightly elongated. I cut strips 3.5" x 8.5" and created four hearts from them. Here's one:

My thinking was that I would put the points of the hearts all together in the center of an 18" block. Silly me. That didn't work at all. If I had kept my hearts smaller, say 6" overall, it might have been possible. I was afraid they would be too small at that size though. So I tried a different layout:

Meh. I didn't really like it. I had to leave it a while before a new layout came to me. The next day I did this:

Much better. More like what I originally had in mind. So now I get to frame up the hearts with a strip of the background fabric on each side and then set them together into one big block.

The next question is what to do about setting the stars. I have them arranged symmetrically on my design wall but that's not how I envisioned them. I want them to have a more scattered look. The problem is that I have so little room in which to work because the stars are sort of big and the panel will only be 18" wide. I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference one way or the other.

My friend C~ brought up a good point. We've come to an age when a lot of us design our quilts on walls even though the quilt will be used on a bed. Hopefully we're keeping the bed in mind as we design and when the quilt is on the bed it will show to advantage. But I'm not sure how this quilt is going to be used. It may go on a bed. I would rather D~ take it with her to her chemo treatments and wrap up in it afterward or use it on the couch at home when she's feeling poorly. In which case how much of my design work is really going to be evident? She will know it was designed and constructed with love, of that I have no doubt. I'm just sitting here asking myself whether it's really worth all the stress I'm putting on myself wondering whether to set the stars symmetrically or asymmetrically.

2 comments:

  1. My opinion...(and remember it is just an opinion)...you are over thinking it. I know you want this to be a beautiful piece for her, and it will be regardless. This is an amazing gift of love, and that is how your friend is going to see it. Whether the stars are aligned just right, or whether they are not quite the way you wanted...the heart, your heart, is in it perfectly. Stop thinking with your eyes so much, and start feeling with your heart. You cannot make it wrong when you come from that position of caring for someone you love.

    I know that she faces a tough time ahead, and I truly hope for her all good things. She is a very blessed woman to have the rest of you wonderful women to help her as she walks this difficult path. In the end, when all is said and done, the love she will feel when she is wrapped up in this amazing gift is what matters.

    Now, stop over thinking and give yourself some credit...you are a great quilt artist, and a wonderful friend...and this panel will be not only a beautiful work of art, but an even more beautiful work of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points - I design on a wall because the floor is too far away and too hard to get up from (sigh).

    I ALWAYS like my quilts better once they are OFF the wall and the flimsy is on the floor or over the balcony or on a bed or the back of the couch ...

    Yes, you are (like me) trying too hard. Take a deep breath, stitch it together so it fits the dimensions needed, give yourself a hug, take a photo or two, and know that you have done well.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.