In the last post I think I showed you the Day of the Dead print I wanted to use with the spatter painted skulls print. Did I mention that the spatter print will be whole cloth strips separating two columns of pieced blocks? That's the plan. Deciding which blocks and which prints to use was what took so long. Finally I fussy cut some giant (to me!) 6.5" patches and some 5" patches out of the DoD print. I was able to get some smaller squares for future use but there's not much left of that yard now. I found myself mourning its' loss at the end.
In the photo below you can see I tried another print in two of the corners (sorry, the picture is a little blurry). The dancing skeletons didn't read as well as the skulls. They are too small and too dark.
The largest skulls on that print weren't big enough to be comfortable in a 6" patch (in the 12" blocks) so I cut them for the 9" blocks. The dancing skeletons seemed to be just the right scale and tone for these patches. I'm very happy with the way this block turned out and am excited to get the rest of them sewn up.