|This is six blocks.|
It occurred to me that I could set these in a nine patch setting with one of my Ohio Stars. Happily, one with an indigo print background looked really good in the middle of all that scrappiness.
|36" x 36"|
And now I was well on my way to building a new quilt top out of my Parts Department!
It took a while to come up with the next step. Eventually I decided on 6" heart blocks for cornerstones. That left me puzzling over how to connect the hearts. More six inch blocks seemed too big, too much. But! All along I've been making 4.5" Broken Dishes blocks out of the triangles that get cut off my flying geese units They've been piling up to an alarming quantity actually. So I dug them out and strung some between the hearts.
So far, so good. How to fill in that 1.5" gap though? I debated over whether to use more scrap strips or to use a single piece of fabric. In the end I went with a single print. It was a fat quarter, just the right amount of fabric and just the right amount of visual interest. :- )
|48" x 48"|
Time for another border, something to give the eye a place to rest.
|A 3" border all the way around makes it 54" square.|
It's sort of a busy print but it's only two colors (white on dark blue) and really works in person. I'm thinking the next round of blocks will be more 12" Ohio Stars. I'm shooting for a big square quilt at this point, something that could fit a double bed. That means working on one side at a time, and a lot of pinning and repinning of the flimsy to my design wall. Quilt building is not for the faint of heart!
If you want to see more scrappy goodness check out the link party over at SoScrappy. :- )