Thursday, January 21, 2021
Sunday, January 17, 2021
I'm continuing work on Anne Brooke's #12pagesofChirstmas book-in-a-tin project. (You can check out her projects on YouTube.) Frankly, without this stitch along it might have become a UFO at this point. Not that I've lost interest, I've just become distracted. That often happens when new projects present themselves!
When last we met I'd completed pages seven and nine, having skipped page eight's prompt. Since then I've made pages eight, ten, and eleven! There's only one page left to do but after that I have to come up with a cover. Anne added little tags to her book, on the backs of most of the pages. I will probably try to do a version of that but I'm not thinking that far down the road just now.
The prompt for page eight was a pocket and a tag to go into it. My pocket is a strip of burlap on top of a 3" square of a Tim Holtz print. I cut a little section from some lace to embellish the pocket front. The tag is another piece of a Tim Holtz print, embellished with a button. It's only two layers of fabric stitched together. I wish now I'd put a bit of batting between the layers of fabric to give it more substance.
Friday, January 15, 2021
And I'm probably one of the last to get my post up! This month Scrap Happy Day has worked much like the Stitch Along I participate in does for me, motivating me to do something I might not get done otherwise. I haven't been in a patchwork frame of mind for what seems like a long time, and that's where my scrappy efforts take place most often. But with Scrap Happy Day bearing down on us (the 15th of each month, courtesy of Kate and Gun) I got busy cutting and sewing sashing strips to 88 of my 264 scrappy Hole in the Barn Door blocks.
Obviously that's not 88 blocks in the photo above. That was just the beginning. Now my design wall looks like this:
There are eleven rows of eight blocks each. The paisley print on a dark blue ground between the blocks will also appear as narrow strips between the rows.
There was one block that had to have its' sashing strip removed because it just didn't seem to play well with the other blocks I'd selected. There's still one spot I'm not entirely happy with. As I approach the bottom of the design wall and the number of available blocks decrease it gets more challenging to achieve a pleasing distribution of colors and values. I'm not willing to go down the rabbit hole that would be rearranging the placement of existing blocks. I'm more inclined to remove another 6" length of sashing from one block and sew it to a different one if I do anything at all. Sashing between the rows may make it a moot point. The blocks won't be as close to each other as they are at the moment. The final decision will probably be dictated by my energy level when I get to that point. 😉This link party is open to anyone who is repurposing or salvaging scrap materials of any kind. Contact Kate or Gun if you'd like to join us. The folks in the link list below may or may not have a dedicated Scrap Happy post up but their blogs are were investigating in any case. 😊
Kate, Gun, Titti, Heléne, Eva, Lynn, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy, Tracy, Jill, Claire, Jan,
Moira, Sandra, Linda, Chris, Nancy, Alys, Kerry, Claire,
Jean, Jon, Hayley, Dawn, Gwen, Connie, Bekki,
Sue L, Sunny, Kjerstin, Vera, Nanette and Ann
Saturday, January 9, 2021
Monday, January 4, 2021
New Year's Day is a holiday. Then we had a weekend. Now it's Monday the fourth and life actually returns to normal. A lot of people probably bemoan this event. I'm finding it helpful. Like most folks, Hubby has been working from home for months. But during the holiday season he seemed to be in my studio space a lot more than usual. I don't seem to work well with lots of interruptions. Now that he's back to work I'm able to get back to work as well. Or so I hope!
I have another new laptop to get used to this year. Which means I have to log back in to all those accounts I'd been using previously. Which means I have to dig up all those passwords. Passwords are a necessary evil in this day and age but it's going to take some time for me to get back up to speed online. I also have piles of stuff that have accumulated on my ironing board and cutting table. It's all going to have to be rehomed somewhere. Wish I knew where! The boxes for my floss collection are here now, I just have to gird my loins to start transferring things from one place to another.
In the meantime, one of the first things I've done is to put in a single line of stitching on this little quilt.
I did the quilting on this one myself, on my Pfaff. But James spotted a line I'd missed after I'd changed the needle and everything on the machine and right before Christmas hit. So today I set it all back up again and put in that single line of stitching. Here's the back of the quilt where the stitching shows up better:
Naturally the missing line was one of the shorter ones in a corner. But it's done now. 😁
I've been stitching away on the 3 Flowers canvas in odd moments over the holidays. This is what it looks like now:
Very close to being done. There's one little leaf to stitch yet, a line of detail on a flower stem. and the petals of the blue flower. For the first time ever with a kit I've run out of the thread provided for the background (the lighter pink). Believe me, I didn't waste any. I think whoever kitted this unit up just miscounted. It's quite possible I have the right color in my stash so I'm not too worried about it.
I've begun cutting sashing strips for that scrappy Barn Doors potential quilt I mentioned in my last post. Haven't had the energy to start auditioning blocks yet though. One step at a time as we move forward into this new year!