Saturday, October 23, 2010

Leaving Hogwarts

I found the leftover scroll print from the back I put on my Flower Garden quilt and thought it would make perfect sashing for my Harry Potter blocks. I had enough to do the inner sashes...


But then I decided I really wanted the outer sashing or frame to be slightly wider. There wasn't quite enough of that lovely scroll to pull it off. Rats! I couldn't find anything in my stash that I felt would make an appropriate substitute either. After a fruitless trip to the store where I'd purchased the scroll print I remembered that I'd used a long strip of the backing to make a sleeve for the Flower Garden quilt when I was asked to exhibit it earlier this year.

There was just enough in that sleeve to allow me to make the wider frame around the blocks - woohoo! I wanted to put cornerstones in that frame and it's a good thing because otherwise I wouldn't have had enough of the scroll print. I wanted the cornerstones so I could include a couple more owls and two train patches for the Hogwarts Express. (I would have done more with the train if I'd had a more appropriate train print.)


I've known what I wanted to use for the final border almost since the beginning of this process. But before I put that on I felt it needed a transition fabric. This lovely red was ideal.


That inner frame (the scroll print) is 3" finished, and the red is 2" finished. I cut the outer border strips to finish at 4" but they looked too small. Fortunately I auditioned them before I actually sewed them on! And, fortunately, I had plenty of the border print. I cut the strips to finish at six inches and put them on. Ta daa:

I'm very happy with the way this turned out. In fact, I am so happy with it that I don't want to quilt it myself. First of all, I can't figure out how to do it in a way that would please my aesthetic sensibilities with the skills I currently possess. It could be tied but I don't want that for this quilt. My regular long-arm quilter is not in a position to help out this time around.

There's a sub-group in our local quilt guild that meets every other week to work on quilts for children in our Foster Care program. I called one of the members this morning to see about donating this top for them to quilt and then pass on to Foster Care. I haven't done one for them yet this year and it does seem kind of silly to always be donating out of state. So the top and a back and some binding will probably be delivered to them next Tuesday. The best part is that I found out that the donated quilts get hung in the Foster Care offices. When a child comes into the system they see the quilts and can pick one out for themselves. In my mind there's no better way to gift a quilt to a child than to let them pick the one they want on their own.

6 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Fabulous! I loved reading about every step of this process..but especially the final outcome. And you're right, it doesn't get any better than that...

Sharon said...

I agree with Michele. . .thanks for sharing your process. It was fun to watch this quilt evolve. I think the quilt came out wonderfully! You did a bang-up job!

I like that you'll donate the quilt locally, and I agree with you about "the best part". That's wonderful.

Nifty Quilts said...

Congratulations! It's a great quilt! Love that houses fabric with the wizards flying over the rooftops.

Finn said...

Howarts has never looked better Sue! Love the quilt, and altho I'm stunned by the amount of work it took with those borders, they certain DO make the quilt sing. Great outcome in the quilting and donation department...it's ALL good!! Hugs and happy stitching on that new inspiration, Finn

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous story and what a WONDERFUL quilt . . . so happy it all turned out so well!

One very lucky child will be thrilled to have this quilt as their very own!

Barbara C said...

What a great quilt! The windmill blocks are perfect for the Harry Potter theme, and that border fabric is also perfect. Some child will be very pleased to get this quilt.