To quote Susan: This postcard was made from a background of black linen with heavily painted Wonder Under (Bond-a-Web). It was created shortly after my first machine embroidery class (under Valerie Campbell-Harding). To it was stitched a scrap from an old cross stitch based on the 6th century mosaics in Ravenna's Sna Vitale church. The reverse is a Japanese postcard brought back by my elder son Mathias after his first trip. It is signed and dated in ink. (You can't see it very well in my photograph but she has done some decorative stitching in metallic threads in the background areas.)
In return, of course, I had to make and send her a postcard.
I dug around in my scrap bits and pieces and found something that almost measured the required 4" x 6". All I had to do was add a corner and then quilt/embellish it. Susan was asking for predominantly fiber cards. I took that to mean a minimum of 3-D embellishments, which posed something of a challenge for me since I've been so busy sewing beads on quilts lately! I did some machine stitching first, then broke out the embroidery floss to add some accent lines and dots. In the end I couldn't resist adding a few sequins and beads.
I did all my stitching through the top and a layer of Warm & Natural batting. To finish the raw edges I applied narrow strips of black fabric to the front, wrapped them to the backside, then stitched in the ditch to hold them in place. I was nervous about stitching through a postcard so I used a piece of watercolor paper instead. It's stouter than regular paper and acid free but not quite as heavy as the postcard Susan's artwork is mounted on. I used a zig-zag stitch to secure the watercolor paper to the quilted piece, keeping my stitches within the black border created by my 'binding.' All in all I was satisfied with the way it turned out.