Monday, July 30, 2018

Bee, Myself & I in July

Last month I showed you the beginning of a new quilt I'm making for my own pleasure - which is the essence of the Bee, Myself & I challenge. I'm making a version of the free Rainbow Blur pattern offered by Free Spirit Fabrics. I'm using featuring botanical prints from the Kaffe Fasset Collection.

After making another 22 four-patch blocks in the correct size the top is complete:

It will measure about 60" x 75" when it's eventually a quilt.  Before that can happen I had to come up with a back. There wasn't enough yardage of anything in my stash that would have been appropriate. I haven't felt like shopping this month either. However...

Back in January of 2013 I made my first flimsy using the Jelly Roll Race or 1600" Quilt process.

I love the colors and prints in the batiks but wasn't overly impressed with the end results. So this has been living in the closet on a hanger ever since. I thought the day might come when I'd be courageous enough to cut it up and rearrange the parts for a more interesting design. It hasn't happened in over five years. I've also trotted it out once in a while to audition it as a quilt back. It was never right for that purpose either... until now. 😊

The colors are great with the Kaffe prints. All it needed was a bit more width and length to accommodate long arm quilting.

James, my quilter-son, is busy performing in three separate Shakespeare plays into the middle of August so there won't be any quilting taking place until the end of that season. I'll have to find something else to work on for next month's end-of-the-month post!

6 comments:

  1. My theory is... Hold onto something ling enough and it will get used eventually !! Love the backing, and the front too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea to use that strippy quilt top as the backing. You'll effectively have a double sided quilt. I love the finished top, the colours work so well together. A real beauty. I hope you'll be keeping this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It was worth the wait to find a worthy quilt to back with the strippy flimsy - it's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea! It will be colorful and reversible. Shakespeare! What fun. We have Shakespeare in the park in Market Square every summer and I haven't managed to go once. This summer, I DID get to the square and see the stage set up - amazing thing. That was the day I fell, so I won't be in a hurry to go back, even though it had nothing to do with Shakespeare! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.