Sunday, July 8, 2018

SAL in July

I haven't put a single stitch in the block of the month embroidery I've been doing for the last few months. For a minute there I thought I might get caught up. That's obviously not going to happen now, not this month anyway.

Still waiting to have the stems and leaves stitched.
 The 'kindness' block was for May if I'm not mistaken. June is 'gentleness.' I don't even have that traced onto fabric yet. The design for July will be released in the next couple of days. Oh well, who wants to be right on top of things? Where would be the fun in that? 😉

What I have been working on is the Frank Lloyd Wright design needlepoint case from long, long ago. When last you saw it, it looked like this:

I've been toting it around in my bag, occasionally working on it when I've had to wait in the car. Lately I haven't had much brain power so I pulled it out and have been using it to pass the time while waiting for headaches, etc. to abate. It now looks like this:

All that's left are a couple of narrow bands of dark gray and part of the final band of light gray.

There's a tiny panic in the back of my mind about what I'll stitch when this is finished. What if I'm not ready to pick up the embroidery yet? I only have blank canvases to stitch, nothing preprinted. When I get the way I am at the moment I can't make color or design decisions. Ack! What I would really like is to figure out a way to use some of Nancy's wonderful hand dyed floss to fill in that blank canvas. You know, just pick up a color, thread the needle, and stitch. No marking of the canvas, no counting threads in order to get started. I've had a couple of ideas for that in the past, I'm just not confident enough to begin. By the way, Nancy is holding her annual Christmas in July give away right now. You can pop over to her blog, sign up to follow her if you haven't already, and put your name in the hat for several different prizes. She's willing and able to ship overseas so don't let that stop you. I reduce my chances of winning anything by telling you this but I really would like you to have a chance to experience her floss. 😊

I give you fair warning that I'll probably not make it around to see the progress everyone else is making on their various needlework projects, nor respond to comments. I assure you however, that it will be well worth your while to take the tour if you have an interest in anything worked with needle and thread.





11 comments:

  1. hope you're feeling much better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you filled in a bunch! Frank Lloyd Wright did some really neat stuff. I hope you get over the 4th of July smoke and the headaches abate sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blank canvas might be like improv quilting , starting with some scraps and just haphazard placing. Does the design have to be structured or small, what about curved arcs, a bit like " Storm at Sea" ?.Hope those headaches go very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. You’ve made great progress with this piece, and there is always the dilemma of ‘what next’!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing the same thing, paying more attention to other projects. Any stitching at all is far better none!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That´s an exciting design! Nice colors as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better soon, just stitch a little of what you fancy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The case looks very interesting! Blank canvases - there is never a right time I think you just have to go for it! Easier said then done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your case the colors are great. Sometimes a blank canvas is to overwhelming for me. I know it is hard to be “ behind”. Whatever you do will be great 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your "kindness" block is look good! Don't worry about being behind... take your time and enjoy the process! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your FLW case! Also, I think you should follow your embroidery's advice and give yourself a little "kindness" ... you'll stitch more when the time is right!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.