Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Scrap Happy in June

After building the back for the wedding quilt, and having made two larger quilts just prior to that one, I decided to play around with a smaller project for a change. I've had my basket medallion out and I know what I want to do but I haven't been able to give it the attention I want to due to a series of headaches. When all else fails, go to the Parts Department!

I opened the box of 12" blocks and pulled out the ones in brighter prints and colors with a quilt for a foster child in mind. I put what I had on the wall in a basic grid. It became evident right away I wasn't going to be able to get away with something that simple. A medallion setting was the next thought that occurred. (Gee, I wonder why?) Pretty soon I had a 12" heart framed with 6" bow ties and whatever those pinwheel-type blocks are called.


So far, so good. But I want this to be another rectangular quilt. That's when I remembered the hourglass units I'd made some time ago. A string of those, maybe with a narrow strip along the top and bottom to build the row up to 6" again, would do the job. I had plenty of hourglass units but most of them were in more muted tones. That sent me to that towering pile of scraps I mentioned in my last post. A few hours later I had a stack of patches and the beginning of several new scrap blocks to assemble between seams (aka leaders and enders).


I cut squares and triangles to finish at 4", 3", and two inches. There are a couple smaller triangles and parts for 9" Ohio stars and sawtooth stars, and 6" Churn Dash or Hole in the Barn Door and Shoo-fly blocks. Oh, and I made a few more 3" hourglass units too. :- )


I strung them together and added those narrow strips to achieve six inches. Except I miscalculated. I only had five inches. That called for an alteration in my plans. I removed the narrow strips from the top and bottom of the hourglass rows. I'd already figured on a two or three inch sashing to separate the medallion from the side border blocks so I just used that to separate the medallion from the top and bottom blocks too. It probably worked out better than what I'd have done if I hadn't made the miscalculation!


That's it, the top's done! I had to make a couple of 12" blocks to fill in empty spots. This liberated star:


And this Ohio star:



I'm pleased with the way this spur-of-the-moment project turned out. The flimsy is 52" X 60."


I'll make a back for it later on. I think I might be able to tackle my liberated basket medallion now.

To see other scrappy goodness go check out the blogs listed by Kate at TallTalesfromChiconia:- )



6 comments:

Nancy J said...

A little diversion and look at all that lovliness.this will be a beauty when all done, but is a beauty right now.

Kate Chiconi said...

This just goes to show the true value of the Parts Department. Your scraps are 'super-organised' into not only colour, but also finished shapes, ready to use at a moment's notice. What a really lovely quilt from scraps, congratulations!

gayle said...

I do love that parts department of yours!
And what a fun quilt you've put together! Your 'uh-oh' moment really did lead to a great design!

Sharon said...

Beautiful! This came out so good! I love your Parts Dept. You've taken that idea and really flown with it! I should be doing that too, but just haven't gotten there yet. I'm awash in scraps.

I've not worked on my medallion yet either. I have ideas, but just haven't gotten to them yet.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on another Parts Department Quilt!!!

desertskyquilts said...

Really great top, Sue! You are doing so many fun scrappy things from your parts department. =)