To begin with I finished up the child's quilt top I was building out of my Parts Department. This is how it looked when last you saw it:
Those postage stamp stars in the corners of the ship round bothered me. They seemed too big and awkward in those positions. My first thought was to carry the blue of the water under the ships around the corners. That made it imperative that I use smaller blocks in the corners. I considered my 6" Shoo-fly blocks but they also seemed too large and somehow inappropriate. So I quickly made up 4" pinwheels out of scraps.
Oh yes, much better!
This is the completed flimsy. The quilt will measure about 40" wide by 56" long. I also made backs for this one and the heart medallion top I created a week or so ago. All we need now is batting. (Honestly, sometimes making backs is more challenging than piecing quilt tops!)
I'm linking this post to the RSC party this weekend over at SoScrappy since this top features blocks made out of my rainbow scrap blocks. Stay tuned for a sneak peek at the other project I've been playing with. ;- )