Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Next Chapter

I'm back already because there has been a new development in the saga of the "big girl" quilt for DGD #2. But first let me show you how the preemie top came together:

"Teddy Bears in the Park." You should be able to click on the picture to get a better look. I really like the way the border print echoes both the burgundies and the pinks in the crumb blocks. It still needs to be backed and quilted but that will have to wait for another day.

Now, back to the saga of the quilt for DGD. (I really need to figure out how to refer to each of my grandchildren individually since there will be four of them in a few months.) The butterfly print was just too overwhelming as a background fabric as you can see in the lower left block below.

I went to two shops yesterday, looking for suitable background options, and struck out on both counts. Which is not to imply that I bought no fabric at all (perish the thought!). I brought home two pieces that I thought I might be able to make work... and some other stuff that was just too fun to leave in the store. ;- ) (Sorry, no pictures.)

Hours later I was able to have a nice long conversation with my daughter, mother to all of the children in this story. She reminded me that the animal panels she provided...


...had been purchased when DGD #2 was a baby. Which may be why she thought it would be appropriate to include them in her big girl quilt. But it was the infantile quality of the artwork that made it so hard for me to include it in a big girl quilt for this child. She's not a baby anymore!

DD had told me more than once that I didn't have to use the animal panels in DGD's quilt but I felt compelled to do so. Until we came to the conclusion yesterday afternoon that I could use the animals in a pair of baby quilts for the twins that are now on their way. Perfect! DD gets to have the cute animals in quilts and I get to make a quilt that I feel is more appropriate for a toddler growing rapidly into a preschooler and beyond. The question now is, what in the world am I going to make for her?!

Oh, and in a happy aside, I took a container of frozen blueberries with me when I went shopping so I could consume them immediately after running into toxic vapors. I've learned that, for whatever reason, frozen blueberries have the power to mitigate the severity of my reactions. It worked pretty well yesterday. I still had symptoms of exposure afterward but it could have been so much worse.

6 comments:

  1. Your preemie quilt is very cute!

    Glad you had a talk with your DD about this big-girl quilt. It seems to have freed you from a constraint that was bothering you. Now your possibilities are open!

    How interesting about the blueberries! Who'd a thunk it? Glad they help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the blueberries help as well, maybe it is all of the antioxidants they contain? I agree with you about the butterfly background, but gotta tell ya, I love the blocks you have on the upper left and lower right of the pic. I can't wait to see what you end up using!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with the teddy bear quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the teddy bear preemie quilt! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scrappy stars are so pretty. I can see your frustration with the butterflies as background fabric, but maybe it'll work in the border. The teddy bear quilt is really cute too. Making the animal quilts for the twins will be fun and is a great way to use that panel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The big girl quilt is really cute -- the animal blocks work well, and the stars are great! Backgrounds are always hard for me, good luck!
    The preemie quilt is really terrific. It's so much fun! I think kids appreciate the variety of fabrics and interesting designs.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.