In fact, it dawned on me that when I lost a few days last week (not posting between Tuesday and Saturday) one of the reasons was that I went to an art show Wednesday. I knew it was a risky thing to do, in spite of all the precautions I take, and I was right. I didn't realize how badly I had been affected until later in the day. Of course by then it was too late. Oh well - all better now.
The other thing that apparently kept me from posting was work on this:
My second quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I had just begun to embellish it the last time I showed it, here. It's a good thing these are small quilts (9" x 12" in this case) because once I had all the star sequins sewn in place I realized that they were overpowering the quilt. I really didn't want to do it but I went back and took most of them out, replacing them with a single seed bead. There are abalone chips thrown in there too to give visual balance to the embellishments.
The spider web was already in the scrap of fabric; I simply enhanced it with a bit of embroidery. The Victorians considered spiders a symbol of good luck and I have adopted that for my own work. That pieced "butterfly" was another stumbling block. Everytime I thought I was done with it I'd step back, have a look, and decide it wasn't right. What you see here is probably the third version. I originally outlined it with a red perle cotton that blended in so much it made next to no difference. The first yellow I whipped the outline stitching with was too bright. Now I'm happy with it. Well, happy enough to call it done ;- )
While we're waiting for the registration number for "Guardian Angel" to come in I am thinking about what to do for Terry Pratchett's quilt. I have pulled a couple of fabrics that I might use... but you never know what will end up in the final quilt.