Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Backs and Fronts

I dug deep into my closet and actually found a piece of chambray from way-back-when that was long enough to back the Foodie Quilt. It was also 60" wide, but of course it needed to be wider. I thought about using the leftovers of the food prints to make up the difference in width but I think I have enough to make another whole set of blocks. And I'm trying to save as much of the blue kitchen print as possible to use for binding this quilt. So I dug some more...

And found this mustard and red plaid. (Mustard and ketchup?) Apparently it used to be a skirt at one time. I have no recollection of when or where I acquired this piece of fabric. I took off what remained of the placket and opened up the hem. Then I washed it with some other new yardage that recently arrived from eQuilter.com. Good as new! All it needed was this little bit of the blue to make it long enough and now the top and the back can go to the longarm quilter who has volunteered to work her magic to turn it into a quilt. Hurray!

Now it's time to turn my attention to other projects. A few days ago I learned that one of my favorite authors of all time, Terry Pratchett, was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disease. What a crime! Of course the first thing that popped into my head was to make a quilt in his honor to donate to Ami Simms' Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative. Then I remembered that I had yet to finish this little quilt:

You may or may not recall that these are the bits leftover from the first quilt I made for this cause (as a result of Tonya's call for Priority Hope quilts). That first quilt was made with my MIL in mind. I thought it would be appropriate to make this one in honor of my own mother. She was never diagnosed with Alzheimer's but suffered from at least a mild form of dementia in her last years. This is what I have done with it thus far:

The light yellows on the left side are not as light in reality as they appear in this photo. Trust me, they look much better in person! I have done a bit of embroidery to enhance the butterfly in the lower left. The top will be quilted to the batt as I sew on star sequins and beads and whatever other embellishments seem appropriate as I go along. When I have completed this quilt I will begin one for Sir Terry. {sigh}


3 comments:

  1. There was a programme on BBC1 recently about Terry Pratchett and how he's trying to fight the onset of Alzheimers.

    I've started a Liberated Challenge for the AAQI on the Liberated Quilters Yahoo group if you're interested. Link to said group on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful looking quilt - art, it is. I also started to wonder if the inside of my aunts' heads felt like this sometimes as they retreated from reality and the present. I took care of the two of them, and my head began to explode also toward the end. One had true Alzheimer's, and the other a severe case of total dementia. A sense of humor and good A. Association support is all that kept me going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the foodie quilt when it's finished! And I love your alzheimer's quilt also. I can see that you're going to be ahead of me in our challenge! Thank you so much for all your kind comments and support.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.