As it turns out, I couldn't bring myself to cut the machine embroidered scrap any further. Nor could I even pretend it was pieced by putting in false seamlines. So this is what I have:
And this may be how it stays, at least for a little while.
I used embroidery floss to secure the rick-rack in place, stitching down the machine embroidered piece at the same time. At the top and bottom, under the rick-rack, is a torn strip of a vintage fabric I had in my stash. So I have lots of raw edges. I tried many buttons as potential embellishments but none of them seemed to belong. I have no interest in merely embroidering the printed design on the dresser scarf... We'll just have to let this simmer and see what happens.
I've had multiple exposures over the last couple of days in spite of the precautions I have in place. I spent yesterday on the couch, just letting my body recover. I will be glad when my enthusiasm and energy returns. There's a list of other What If's I want to experiment with in my studio journal, there's the Fungly quilt to assemble and tie, there's the Halloween quilt border to sort out, and there's the Take It Further challenge to fulfill for this month. Ironically, the theme of this month's challenge is lists! But we'll deal with that another day.