Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gizzy Quilts

Some time ago Lynne, over at The Patchery Menagerie, needed to raise money for vet bills. She came up with the idea to make smallish quilts for cats and see whether they would sell or not. They were a hit. You can read the whole story here. She has also kindly written a tutorial describing how she makes these quilts. (It's on the sidebar of her blog, towards the bottom.) The first time I read through it I knew I'd have to give it a try.

I made my first one a little bigger than the ones Lynne makes specifically for cats so I could donate it to the neo-natal intensive care unit for a preemie baby.



Yesterday I made another one, this time with a cat theme so I can donate it to our local Humane Society for their upcoming fundraiser auction. I have it layered with backing and batting but haven't done any quilting yet.



At the moment I'm slightly incapacitated. I pin basted the Halloween quilt yesterday before I started working on the cat quilt. I smoothed the layers out on my double bed and then slid a cutting mat between the backing and the quilt I've been sleeping under to keep that quilt from being pin basted to the Halloween quilt. My back didn't take kindly to being bent at that particular angle for an extended period of time. I probably would have been smart to lay down and rest it rather than moving on to the Gizzy Quilt but when have I ever claimed to be smart?

We're having such a lovely day here today that DH and I went for a drive. It was a route we've taken many times in the past, but it's so pretty that we never get tired of it. It's been such a long time since I've been out anywhere beyond the Food Co-op that I felt like a starving man at a banquet! The slight headache I have from getting out of the car to get a better look at this view is totally worth it.


And now I think I'm going to go check out Picassa per Tonya's recommendation. When I clicked on the picture of my Halloween quilt in the previous post it didn't enlarge. Guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and learn yet another photo program... :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.