Friday, November 11, 2011

Not Exactly A Quilt

But in honor of National Corduroy Day (because 11-11-11 looks like the wales of corduroy) I offer up my corduroy needlebook:


This is the front cover:


Here's the back:

I had a stash of corduroy for many years, thinking I would eventually make at least a small corduroy quilt. I especially loved the printed corduroys. The time came when I needed room for other fabrics that had a greater chance of being used so I finally had to admit that the corduroy quilt was probably never going to get made. I gave most of my corduroys to a dear friend, holding back just enough for any additional crazy quilting I might want to do. I have more confidence in her plans to make a corduroy quilt than I ever had in my own. ;- ) If you want to see some wonderful corduroy quilts go check out the blogs listed on Nifty's blog.

I would also like to give a shout out to the men and women serving in the various branches of our military on this Veteran's Day. There's a lengthy history of military service on my side of the family so I have a special place in my heart for all those who have volunteered with honor over the years. Those who are gone have my respect and gratitude and those who are serving now are in my prayers.

11 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous bag...I love it and the embroidery on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I love the fabrics and the details like the spider webs and the spider are wonderful. Now, I am going to go drool over it some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat. I like the printed corduroy you used. It does a lot of work for you in this piece, adding color and many wonderful curves. I like your embroidery too. That is an area I'll probably never have the patience for. I tried it years ago rather unsuccessfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this is very pretty. Love the crazy quilt look and your wonderful embellishments. So glad you could play along! Save the wales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!! That little needle book is so precious. Good for you knowing that it was better to pass on your corduroy to someone who was more likely to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful needle book! I love the embroidery and the beading that you added. Those are cool printed cords. I've not seen any of that lately. It should make a come-back!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your needle book is perfect. Lovely colors, embroidery and design. I never thought of corduroy in this way. hmm. Also liked your other quilting projects, especially the October ATC with the funky skulls and crossbones. Very fun!
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Details, Details! It is all about the details and you have mastered it! Was it easy to embroider through corduroy? It is just beautiful. Your embroidery and embellishments looks so perfect this needle book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a similar dilemma with men's neckties. After stashing for ages, I handed them off to someone else, finally admitting that I was just not going to use them.

    I think you needle case is WONDERFUL ... truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love corduroy, and I too have reluctantly passed my corduroy stash on to others: too much fabric, not enough time. It is nice for crazy quilting, as your project shows.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.