Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Puzzle Quilt - Done & Gone

When I left you the last time I had a top row fleshed out for my Puzzle Quilt. Here it is all filled in. You may notice I made another stack of Flying Geese units off to the left side. Other than that I simply used whole cloth strips to compensate for the blank spots.


The next step was borders to bring it up to the size I wanted. Of course I had something in mind as I was sewing that top row to the rest of the quilt and, of course, something better came along before I got there! My LQS had a selection of bolts the owner really wanted gone. I used some of one for the outer border and binding and yards of another for the back.


The inner border or frame was cut from a multi-color print I found in my stash. That white background against the black background of the outer border really make the whole top pop in my opinion.

My long arm quilting friend had an opening in her schedule and was able to meander quilt this for me in a matter of hours. Her name and mine are on the label on the back.

Here's the final product:

No detail shots I'm afraid. We were lucky to get this picture in between rain showers. I don't think I could be more pleased with the way this quilt turned out. And now it's on the first leg of its journey to someone in Japan who will hopefully find it a happy distraction and a warm comfort in the days ahead.

3 comments:

kaite said...

it's lovely, i can imagine children sitting on it playing i spy games. very interesting and well balanced.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The finished quilt is truly wonderful ... loved watching you work and seeing it evolve.

Congrats on the finish!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a super quilt! I'm amazed at how well you put all those odd sized bits together. I sent my quilt donation off yesterday, too