Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Few More Dashes

I'm not exactly "churning" out these blocks but we're making progress. ;- )


The color isn't quite right on this red one...


But is pretty true in this one:


I have sketched out a tentative plan for laying out the blocks. It doesn't involve the little 5" blocks. We'll see how closely I stick to the plan when the time finally arrives to assemble the top. Right now I'm thinking I'll just set 49 blocks 7 x 7 with two inch sashing and no outer borders. I looked at a lot of antique/vintage Churn Dash quilts on the Alliance for American Quilts Quilt Index site. Very few of them had borders of any kind. There's no telling whether I'll remain true to the historical look or whether I'll give in to my more liberated side when we get to that point!

The new puppy next door has been a much better neighbor lately. He (or she) is still unhappy with being left outdoors but complains a lot less now. I think he gets to spend more time with the family members now too. {whew}

2 comments:

  1. I love churn dash blocks and made a churn dash quilt some time ago. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living Life Between the Dash...


    "I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.

    He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning... to the end.

    He noted that first came her date of birth and spoke the following date with tears,but he said what mattered most of all was the “dash” between those years. (1934 -1998)

    For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth...and now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.

    For it matters not, how much we own; the cars...the house...the cash, what matters is how we live and love and how we spend our “dash”.

    So think about this long and hard...are there things you'd like to change?

    For you never know how much time is left,that can still be rearranged.

    If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real, and always try to understand the way other people feel.

    And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more and love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.

    If we treat each other with respect,and more often wear a smile...remembering that this special “dash”might only last a little while.

    So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash...would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent your “dash”?


    You are doing just GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.