Monday, May 11, 2009

Fairies in the Garden

So yesterday was Mother's Day here in the United States. I had a lovely day, with one exception.

My DD bought this beautiful fairy print a couple of years ago on the rare occasion when we were at a quilt shop together. At the time the idea was that I would make a wallhanging out of it for her. The quilters among you can probably guess what happened next. Or rather, what didn't happen.

To be fair, it wasn't all my fault. I didn't make the wallhanging right away (that was the part you guessed, right?) and then she decided she didn't really want another thing to hang on her walls anyway. So the fairies went to the bottom of the pile again.

For her Mother's Day I wanted to finally use at least some of the fabric to make a gift for her. DD and her family go to one of the few remaining drive-in theaters in the country as often as they can, and they take every pillow they own when they go to make the experience as comfy as possible. So I thought I would make her another pillow. I fussy cut the fairies and pieced a few simple blocks and had the top done in a resonably short time. (It's about 18" x 24".)

The back had me stumped for a while because, of course, I had nothing left of any of the other fabrics I'd used on the front. (Except for the fairies, but I didn't want to use them on the back.) Eventually I found a batik in my stash that had the same colors in it as the leaf print that borders the top. Got the pillow assembled and started stuffing it... and ran out of fiberfil. Of course I didn't think of doing this for her until the day before Mother's Day and I couldn't get any more fiberfil before she arrived to wish me a happy Mother's Day. {sigh} Oh well. They will be coming through here again next weekend; I'll give it to her then. :- )

8 comments:

  1. its the semtiment, not the day it's done that matters :-) I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, it's a great project, and a good use of the fairies. I have that same fabric, altho only a small piece, as DD bought it for use in last years graduation gift quilt I made for a friend of hers. It's really lovely fabric. I think she'll love it. Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, so cute. Do you remember that old song "There are fairies in the bottom of my garden"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the the illustrations of the Flower Fairies. I'm sure DD will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day or the next ~ it's the fact that you created it for her that matters ~ it is LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a great day in spite of not finishing her pillow.

    My sister was at her daughter's new-old condo while drywall workers were repairing some water damage. My sister called me while she pretty much hid out in the upstairs bedroom. She's allergic to the drywall dust and that made me think of you so thought I'd drop in and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the pillow is great - much more useable than a wallhanging, and I'm sure she'll love it whenever she gets it!

    I totally get your story - I've done the same thing too many times to count! Good intentions. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous pillow idea to use that fairy fabric! she will love it no matter when she gets it that is for sure

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.