Thursday, June 18, 2020

It's Official

I've been on the planet for 65 years now. This is the first milestone that really has any meaning for me. Thirty made no impression, nor 35, nor 40, nor 50. Even 60 was sort of ho hum. Granted, the last 15 years have been overshadowed by hormone fluctuations and chemical sensitivities. I'm grateful to be feeling as well as I do at the moment!

It would be really cool to have done a retrospective of the quilts I've made over the last 20 years or so. I'm neither that organized nor that ambitious. You'll have to be content with what I'm currently working on, which is Joy McDonald's scrappy mystery quilt project. We started with just twelve 9 Patch blocks made of 2.5" scrappy squares. That was easier to accomplish than I expected. We're now up to step four. She's moving us right along but none of the steps have been overwhelming, at least for me. This project has been the right thing at the right time in my world.


I didn't use this for Scrap Happy Day because I'd purchased new yardage for the background. I usually shy away from mystery quilts because I want to see what I'm making before I embark on it. Along those same lines, I wanted a consistent background for this whatever-it's-going-to-be and I didn't have anything in my stash I was willing to sacrifice (or that I felt I had enough of). The photo above shows where I am now in the process, with leftovers in the box. I may be making more blocks or another version of this quilt down the road. 😉

I don't think I've ever shown the end result of a quilt I was building earlier this year. It's appropriate to share it with you now because the center panel was gifted to me several years ago.

"If Eve had fabric she would have made a quilt."
Block Party Studio panel

The color changed slightly after laundering.


Overall the effect isn't too bad. James quilted feathers on the flying geese with a golden thread.




This fits beautifully on top of the other quilts on my twin size bed. It's also great for snuggling under on the couch in front of the television. 😊

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on becoming part of the 65 Club! Your Eve would have made a quilt quilt is lovely (I recognize that one border fabric!). Love that James used golden thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many belated happy returns! I'm waiting to see if 60 is a landmark for my next birthday...
    I love love love Eve's Quilt. She was quite a girl, and obviously if she'd had fabric she wouldn't have had to make do with fig leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very happy (significant) birthday to you.🎈🎂🥂
    Your finished quilt is gorgeous - all those perfect points!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday from me too, and welcome to the 65 Club. It is full of wonderful members!
    Isn't it lovely when a project comes along at just the right moment in time? It feels like the stars have aligned. I love your Eve quilt too, especially the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James makes beautiful feathers! Happy birthday! And many more to come. I'm doing Joy's QAL, too, and not quite staying up, but not getting too far behind. I agree that it's a good project for right now. I'm not having to think a lot, but I feel like I'm doing at least *something*!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had an amazing birthday! Your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday!!! Hope you had a great day!! You are doing well with the QAL, I'm glad you are enjoying it... Love your quilt - and the label is too cute!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I love that Eve quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! The quilt is really beautiful, with a lot of precision work!
    Hugs,Carmela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I love your "Eve" quilt and the quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, may this year be a great one, Sue! Love your latest finish!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.