Monday, June 8, 2020

A New Quilt?

I feel like a butterfly, flitting from one project to another lately. Haven't been able to stick to any one thing. Normally a project idea will take hold of me and I can't stop working on it until I either get stuck or complete the top.

I'm not sure what sparked the idea this morning but I decided to have a look at the 8" basket blocks I have in the Parts Department. This is what I found:


I didn't realize four of them were different from the others. That naturally led me to think of a medallion setting with those four in the center. But why stop there? What about vertical columns?


Maybe. I did figure out that six baskets and two inch sashes would give me a 58" row or column. That's a good size for either a child's quilt or a lap quilt for an adult. Especially if I add one or more borders.

So, how to flesh it out? After a further rummage I found some ten inch basket blocks. There were only five though, and I don't feel like making any more at the moment. I'm trying to reduce the Parts Dept. inventory, not increase it! Five 10" blocks and sashing could also make a 58" row or column though. And there are plenty of 8" stars to fill in the gaps. Like this:


Obviously I don't have sashing in place yet. I don't have a clue what I might use either. Part of me wants to go scrappy, another part wants to use up yardage. The challenge will be to find one print that works all the way through the top. The first step might be to do the math and figure out how much yardage I'd need... 😊


6 comments:

  1. Spare parts, what a bonus to have them to play with.Love the way you have them placed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More magic emerging from your seemingly bottomless parts department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I stick my nose in and suggest something? I love the idea of those 2 pink and two blue baskets as the central medallion, but turned so the corner square is outwards, and then the four darkest of the 16-patch stars at the outer corners, filling in with the others. I don't know, it may not work... You'll work it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you have a lovely parts department!! However you put it together it will look lovely - the blocks all match beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should rename your Parts Department to the Fun Department!
    Enjoy your tinkering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful whole-is-greater-than-the-parts quilt! I like it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.