Sunday, September 25, 2016

Stitching Along in the Travelling Sketchbook

For the SAL check-in this time I want to share what I've added to the sketchbook the Sisterhood of the Travelling Sketchbook is sending around the world.


The sketchbook was assembled by Anne in Melbourne, Australia. In addition to samples of her artwork it contains a variety of paper types so each recipient has her choice of foundation to work on.


Not all of us use pen, ink, or watercolors to create art however. My contribution is a pair of fabric sketches that I've embellished with embroidery, sequins, beads, and charms.


In my view these pages could either represent two sides of the world or night and day.

The blue page is the one I've most recently completed. A paillette for the moon and some sequin stars...


I stitched over implied trees with a bit of rayon floss and put an owl in the branches.

At the bottom of the page I created some embroidered seaweed for the muddy river bottom.



The completed page:




And just to refresh your memory, here's the yellow page:


Mostly seed stitching, a few beads, a bit of couched yarn and a snippet of rick-rack. If you want to follow the journey of the sketchbook you can visit the sketchbook's blog, here.

The members of this Stitch Along also live all over the world. By this time they may all have their posts up, showing what they've been working on in the last three weeks but if not you can always check back later. It will be well worth your time. :- )
  1. Avis
  2. Claire,
  3.  Gun
  4. Carole
  5. Wendy
  6. LucyAnn
  7. Kate
  8. Jess
  9. Constanze
  10. Debbierose
  11. Christina
  12. Kathy
  13. Susan.  




11 comments:

  1. stunning fabric art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a neat idea, and your pages are work of art! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, gorgeous! And clever to combine the SAL with the Sketchbook :-) May I please have the image with both pages side by side to add to the Sisterhood of the Travelling Sketchbook page on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pages you created are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely Sue - I'm looking forward to seeing them in 'real life' so I can see all the detail and textures more clearly. When the book gets to me I'm planning on doing something in the textile sphere too as my drawing and painting is at nursery school level :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous project. I wish I had felt confident about timing to join in, but this was not the year for me to do that. One day ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sketchbook! Will there be a gallery when it's done? (Will it ever be done? Or will it travel forever, growing more beautiful at every step?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Beautiful! I have always thought of doing something like this, but never seems to get the time for it! The book is a great idea and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are absolutely lovely! Well done! Marina

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.