After touring some of the blogs of other participants I finally got inspired to work on my own liberated medallion quilt project. The prompt for July was "log cabins." I chose to build up my medallion Courthouse Steps style. At first I only added one strip to each side of the medallion...
But then in the beginning of August I decided it needed a bit more before I added anything in response to the "stars" prompt.
And then my body got the upper hand and nothing more happened until the very end of August. At that point I decided one more set of "steps" was in order:
As Gayle said, there are so many options when it comes to star blocks! I think all the possibilities overwhelmed me in my weakened state. I don't have any star prints that would work with this color palette. Sort of shot myself in the foot in that respect. I liked her solution: make stars every which way and see what works in the end. So I've fussy cut a few images and some scraps to make this:
|Sorry it's a little blurry. Better pictures later!|
I have two 4.5" liberated or maverick stars and one 6" sawtooth star so far. The larger owl and raven blocks may or may not become stars. I'm not sure I want that upper border to get that big. At least one of the little maverick stars will go down the side, and I plan to make more of those to fill up the side borders at least part way.
We've received the prompt to do "something fishy" for the final round of our liberated medallions. Didn't see that one coming! I have an idea percolating; we'll see whether it comes into being or not. I suspect that will be confined to the bottom border. This is shaping up to be a good size for a couch or nap quilt which is just what I wanted.
To see what the others have done with their liberated medallions go check out the link party at Humble Quilts.