Thursday, October 16, 2008

October Take It Further Challenge

I still haven't picked up a needle and thread or fabric. Well, I did finally wash and press the new fabric for the binding of my Halloween quilt. I know from past experience that not sewing isn't healthy for me. On the up side, I feel better and less grouchy today than I have for the last several days. So maybe I'm on my way back to normal. I suspect there have been several factors at work this time around, not simply chemical exposure. We human beings are a complex lot!

In the spirit of getting back to normal let me share with you this month's Take It Further challenge: "... think about your textile work space. How do you feel about this space? What role does it play in your life?"

I live in my textile work space!

I usually only go out into the rest of the house to retrieve something or take care of some chore. Mostly because this room is one of the few that gets good natural light during the course of a day. The kitchen gets pretty good light too, but that's the last place I want to spend my time...



My blessed husband understands and supports my need to create. He readily agreed to let me have the master bedroom of this house for my studio. So I have a fair amount of space (or had, before I filled it up with books and fabric and work surfaces!) with the bathroom and laundry facilities just a few steps away. The only thing I might change, given the opportunity, would be to add even more square footage. However, I know what it's like to have only a corner of a room for your textile pursuits, and to have to put everything away between work sessions. I've had to do that too. Not Fun.

My studio space is my refuge, my sanctuary. Even when I don't sew a stitch I spend my time surrounded by the tools and materials of my trade. It comforts me, inspires me, makes me feel secure. This room keeps me alive. Not quite sure yet how I'm going to portray this but at least now I'm thinking about it :- )

3 comments:

  1. What a great picture of the web! And good luck in the new work space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your workspace sounds lovely, and I can understand why you spend so much time in there! Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are not the only one who is feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment! I am having trouble pickign up a needle myself. I have solved the problem of the small corner workspace by just not packing anything up!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.