Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Out With the Old, In With the New

A little more than a week ago I finally burned through the top of my ironing board cover.

Even though the cover itself was cotton, the built-in padding under the cover must have been a polyester blend because it released toxic fumes when it got hot. We'd had a new ironing board cover out in the garage, off gassing in preparation for this eventuality. Unfortunately it also had a polyester pad. Didn't think to look for that when we bought it! So I got online to see what I could find that would be safe for me to use. There wasn't a lot to choose from but I'm relieved to say that I was able to find a cover made of organically grown cotton. Better yet, it wasn't horrendously expensive. It looks so fresh and clean! (Wonder how long that will last?!)


Yesterday I spent time beading "Mother Hen."

I took a detail shot too, hoping you'd be better able to see the beads. Not sure it worked.

There are dark bugle beads under the egg. They're sort of a brown and purple, and they're twisted bugles. Well, half of them. The other half are straight short brown bugles. I want to do something in the green background areas but haven't entirely decided what that will be. I'm debating between regular embroidery stitches or more beads. I have to go out for food later today so I'm thinking I may brave the bead shop while I'm out.

Speaking of new things, this post marks the beginning of my second year of blogging. A whole new world opened up to me through the medium of weblogs. I've "met" people I now consider friends and become involved in projects I wouldn't have otherwise. I enjoy the positive feedback I get from those who visit and comment. Thanks to everyone who has stopped by and made me feel welcome :- )

3 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to find a ironing board cover without the polyester.

    Yes, I can see the beading. So lovely! Wow, it looks like a lot of work but obviously you love it!
    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog from another quilting site (can't remember which) and I thoroughly enjoy lurking but am now stepping forward and saying "Hey". I'm impressed with your beading on your mother hen. Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has it really been a year already? I remember when you started :) I'm glad I found you. Oh that lily white ironing board would have brown spots on it in a day at my house.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.