While the power was out I suppose I could have finished the beading on my journal quilt ; I just wasn't in the mood for it. What I wanted to do was continue working on the new baby/crib quilt I'm creating from some of my orphan house blocks. I pulled them out the other day and put the happiest blocks on the wall. This is what I came up with:
The smallest houses that you see in two groups of four were actually individual blocks that I went ahead and sewed together. There are a couple of those leftover, and maybe 10 or so other blocks that could have gone into this composition. There was one unfinished house - it ony lacked its' chimney and some surrounding sky - so I put it together and then swapped it for the 9-Patch house in the lower righthand corner. I see now why it was unfinished* but I'm going to leave it the way it is in the spirit of free-pieced houses and orphan blocks. ;- )
*The base of the chimney doesn't match up with the roof of the house; it sort of hangs out in mid-air!
I spent yesterday auditioning fabrics for sashing and filler bits. I'm happy with the progress so far but do not yet have a picture to show you. It's kind of a mess at the moment. When I get it a little further along I'll take its' picture again.
This quilt may be a bit busy for some folks when it's all done but I like it much better than the first orphan baby quilt I made (which is still waiting to be sandwiched and quilted):
I may let DD choose which one she'd like to have first for the new baby. I'm sure she will eventually end up with both of them. And now that the power is back on I can go back to ironing and cutting and sewing!