It only took a little figuring to realize I had enough (more than enough!) Ship blocks to create a new quilt top. Given that my ships are made out of scrap patches they include every color of the rainbow. I didn't want to use more white around the blocks because this quilt may end up with a young person. White is not easy to keep clean, I don't care how careful you are.
I have discovered that I can build columns of blocks with sashing and stagger the blocks for a more interesting setting than the traditional grid format. The challenge with these scrappy ships was to find something that would work with the wide range of colors and print styles. There didn't seem to be anything of sufficient quantity among my regular cotton prints to do the job. However, I found a couple of batiks to audition. I've avoided combining batiks and quilting cottons in my quilts in the past - that's just my version of OCD at work. This project will give me the opportunity to free myself from that particular chain.