Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Three Finishes

Yup, three. 😀

Of course, they're all smaller quilts. There's this baby/toddler quilt:


It's about 62" square. That bright, wild binding isn't too much after all. 😊



Next up is the Pinwheels baby quilt.


It's about 44" wide and 54" long. It has a flannel back, which I didn't get a picture of. I used the same gray of the background and borders to bind it.


James did swirls in the gray patches to make the print patches stand out.

Both of those quilts have been laundered so they're nice and fluffy. This last one has not been through the washer and dryer yet.


It measures about 48" across by 60" long. (I admit to not taking a tape measure to any of these quilts yet.) This one was bound with the remnants of the backing fabric.


I had James quilt it with large, open feathers. I like to use open quilting so the quilts will be that much fluffier and warmer. The denser the quilting, the flatter the end product and the fewer pockets there are for air to be trapped in to retain heat. I intend my quilts to be used! I plan to donate this one to our local hospice group.

I apply my bindings by machine but still hand sew them down on the backs of the quilts. That provides me with mindless sewing when I need it. Plus, I find it soothing - most of the time anyway. There are those occasions when I prick myself or can't thread the needle or whatever. Nothing in this world is perfect!

5 comments:

  1. Three lovely finishes - and James is doing some very nice work on your quilts. I miss sewing binding down by hand - it was relaxing (even when the needle didn't want to be threaded).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pin or needle knows where to find a handy finger or thumb. And of you are like me, it bleeds for ages. Those quilts are truly lovely, and will be so welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's three more littles who will receive a nice warm hug from you and James. Well done! I must admit to loving the first one best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three lovely finishes - I can't pick a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, they are all lovely! Doesn't matter that they are small, lots of work gone into all three! I enjoy hand sewing the binding on the back as well... :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.