Sunday, October 27, 2019

... And A Flimsy!

So, about a week ago I showed you the start of yet another Halloween-themed quilt. Gotta love how quickly a Disappearing 9 Patch can come together!

I had 20 blocks, made of 5" (raw) patches, similar to this one:


Which I then quartered.


The next step was to sort these units into groups according to where the "cornerstone" landed relative to the focal patch. That helped when it came to putting the units on the design wall.


I was surprised at how easy it was to keep all the directional images right side up. When I was making the 9 Patch blocks I rather randomly turned images so they were sideways in the 9 Patch or not. Now that I've made this pattern a few times I have a better idea how things will turn out in the end. Still, I wasn't being all that careful, and most of the patches are directional. There were just enough patches with overall, nondirectional imagery to compensate for those spots where a focal patch wouldn't work right side up.


I took my time getting the units sewn into blocks and then rows. When the bits were all together I decided this quilt needed a narrow inner border and then a wider outer border to finish it off. It took some doing, but eventually I came across two old prints that worked. A lot of what's in this quilt is from the early days of my stash building so that was appropriate.


That's a homespun plaid for the inner border. It looks like black and gold by itself. The jack o'lantern print is actually a coppery metallic. Oddly enough, they work together beautifully.




This flimsy measures about 61" wide by 74.5" long. The next trick will be to come up with backing and then binding. I have my eye on a couple of more recent purchases for those applications. This won't be a finished quilt for this year's Halloween but it will certainly be ready for next year! 😊

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it! If I made a DNP quilt, everything would be all over the place, I wouldn't be able to keep things straight in my head at all. And you've kept the colour distribution even too. Brilliant, and a really fun quilt as well :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.