Monday, September 30, 2019

Bee, Myself & I in September

What happened to September?!! August seemed to last f-o-r-e-v-e-r. September has come and gone in a blink, or so it seems to me. Oh well, best to keep moving or October will also be gone before I know it. 😉

Bee, Myself & I is a forum for some selfish stitching. Something we want to do or make just to please ourselves. When I wasn't working on either of the two baby quilts I have underway I was doing some embroidery. I purchased these pre-stamped towels from Mary Corbet, through her website, a couple of months ago.


I also bought the ebook for guidance. I'm glad I did too. It saved me from having to make decisions when my brain wasn't equal to the task. I made my own color choices however. Some DMC, some of Nancy's hand dyed flosses.

I chose to begin with the smallest design, which kind of gets lost in a lower corner of the large white towel. I may have to trace the design off again on the opposite corner, and maybe come up with some kind of connecting border. That's if I get really ambitious!


I was familiar with most of the stitches used in executing the design. I did take the opportunity to learn how to begin threads without a knot though. I suspect I'll still have to think hard to pull it off in other situations.


I put Colonial knots in the centers of the daisies, and used a DMC variegated thread for the petals. The large flower petals are done with fishbone stitch. The center is filled with satin stitch and two rows of buttonhole, alternating direction. I used fly stitch to fill the leaves.

This little project was so satisfying it's got my mind working on ideas for other embroidery projects. Or I may just begin one of the other towels, with more stitching to do on them!

4 comments:

  1. So, so pretty. I wish I had more interest in embroidery; my mother and two of my older sisters were/are demon embroiderers and have linen cupboards full of exquisite work, some of which I've inherited, but I just look at things like this and feel intimidated. Not to mention that time embroidering is time away from quilts, so it's really not a hard decision to leave lovely things like this to other people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate has just written almost an exact version of what I was going to say - well, apart from the mother and sisters bit.

      Delete
  2. The floss stitches up so beautifully, and a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the botanical themes, Sue. I've never done any stitchery projects myself but I treasure a few pieces created by my stepfather. He wasn't someone you'd have expected to do this kind of work but he was great at it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.