Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Bee, Myself & I

Bee, Myself & I is for selfish sewing, instigated by Carla. I generally have a hard time sewing for myself. When I know there's someone in need or a deadline to be met it's easier to stay out of the Pit of Inertia. However, every once in a while a project comes along that really speaks to me. Such was the case with the Rainbow Blur quilt I saw in our LQS window a few weeks ago. I downloaded the free pattern, my sister donated funds for the fabric as an early birthday gift, and I've begun cutting. This could be a quick project but I prefer to savor it as long as I can. I know when I reach a certain point I'll very likely make a mad dash to the end but for now I'm taking my time, using this for my end-of-the-month BM&I post.

My version of this quilt has been christened Botanical Blur, at least for the time being. That's because I'm using botanical prints from the Kaffe Fassett Collection. This includes prints from Philip Jacobs and Brandon Mably as well as Kaffe. This is the stack of prints I brought home from the quilt shop:


My first cuts were out of the largest scale prints. They are 15.5" squares. I got into difficulties when I tried to center certain images with my 12.5" square ruler and an additional 6" x 12" ruler. Fortunately, James has a 20.5" square cutting ruler in the house which I borrowed. Even though parts of the ruler extended beyond my cutting table it made the job easier overall. I only need five of these largest pieces but I cut an extra one just for the heck of it.


I've also cut more than I need of the next size down, 10.5" squares. There are 15 in this picture, which is the number called for in the pattern, but I've got doubles of some of the prints in that size. The next step will be to cut the 5.5" and 2.5" squares. I need quite a lot of those relative to these larger pieces. I'll be using smaller scale prints and probably cutting strips and then sub-cutting rather than trying to fussy cut anything. Let's hope anyway! There's a difference between savoring the process and getting stuck in the process afterall. 😉


9 comments:

  1. Jacobs, Mably and Fassett . . . don't you just love those guys? I do lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been drooling over their prints for a long time, I just couldn't find the "right" project to justify buying them. Until now. ;-)

      Delete
  2. So you shop @ Calico Creations ????

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Blur will be so beautiful, and your fabrics, what great choices and cutting. Take your time and enjoy every step along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognised the Kaffe Fasset fabrics straight away and I'm not particularly a connaisseur, it's going to look absolutely lovely however, love those fabrics !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah! A lovely riot of floral gorgeousness! Those extra squares you've cut: I see a pillow to match your quilt emerging from the leftovers. Please, please tell me you're keeping this one for yourself? You're so generous with everything else, I'm begging you to keep this one to enjoy and pet and cuddle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this one is for me (in spite of the fact I already have more quilts than one person really needs). I'm thinking the leftovers will make a wonderful donation quilt - but me first!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love those fabrics! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.