Saturday, October 31, 2015

Starry Flimsy

Between other events happening around The Nest this week I managed to get all my sawtooth stars sewn together.


But I wanted it just a bit wider. It's only 56" (finished) wide at this point. Once this is quilted and laundered it won't even be that wide. So I decided to add two inches all the way around. I didn't have enough of the dark brown batik that surrounds the outer stars to do that but I did find another brown batik in my stash.


So now the top will finish 60" wide by 76" long. Wonderful! Now all I need is a name for this quilt. Well, and a backing (and batting and binding!). I'm considering some delicious hand dyed yardage that I've been hoarding for years for the back. They are single-yard cuts, and don't really go together, but I can't bring myself to cut them up. I knew from the beginning that I would keep this quilt for myself so I may as well put some cherished fabric on the back, right? ;- )

And now for the really big news:


Our son has purchased one of the long-arm quilting machines that were in the shop in which he was working and is going into business for himself!


We've been moving furniture and things around to make room for Freddy, as this particular machine is known (christened by it's first owner), in what was James' bedroom. There's fine tuning to be done but we expect things to be up and running within the week. Woohoo!

I'm linking up with the other RSC bloggers.

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE your star quilt! It's just gorgeous - and I'm glad you're keeping it. Such a happy quilt.
    Congrats to your son and good luck in his new business! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive machine, and I'm deeply envious! I can quite see why it took some rearranging to get it all sorted out. How about 'Opal Stars' as a name for this lovely quilt, beautiful jewels hidden in the brown depths of the earth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now,where is James' bed?? And will he quilt your quilts? Love those stars and the last border is a lovely frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your starry quilt: b eautiful! and lucky you- will your son quilt your quilts for you? sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be so nice to have a long arm in the house to put the quilting touches on your projects. Lovely finish on the star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your starry quilt, the darker border is a beautiful addition. Aren't you lucky to have a son who can use a long arm. My oldest son sews but mainly to customise or make clothes and sometimes toys for his sons - I haven't got him quilting yet....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your star quilt is absolutely gorgeous! And how nice to have a long armer in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Sawtooth Stars! I like how you used two different color backgrounds and set everything medallion style. How exciting to have a longarm quilter in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That batik border has really finished off the quilt nicely.
    Best of luck to your son - I am jealous, although I'm not sure I wouldn't be terrified of such a monster machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great progress on your quilt. As long as it is for you, why not use all your specially saved fabrics? Best of luck with the finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You deserve to use that treasured fabric backing for your own quilt, which is gorgeous. The wider brown is the perfect framing touch. Congrats on,the,long arm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just love your quilt and how you have light background stars in the middle and bordered it with a darker background for the stars. Very nice!

    A son who is ambitious enough to start his own business and long arm quilting to boot? He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That batik print is the perfect match for the quilt. I love this quilt with a passion. I'm going to have to make one - and I have a whole tote of batiks to draw on. Congratulations to your son for his ownership of Freddy! Has he been using it in the shop so he knows everything there is to know? Is he going to let you use it sometimes? =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dark-background border stars really enhance the light-background center stars!
    I wish your son success in his new endeavor! Glad to have the skills in the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! on the BIG news and the newly completed quilt top. I like the altered background SEW much better than a "regular" border!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful stars. That brown border really adds to the richness.

    Congrats and best of luck to your son with his new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! The border made your star quilt top look even better. Awesome quilt!
    Congratulations on your son's new business.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This rich looking quilt has turned out beautifully...you'll find some wonderful inspiration to name it. Lucky you....if you get to have a turn....having the marvellous Freddy in the house.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.