Friday, April 19, 2013

Parts Quilt Part Two

Why yes, I did use the liberated stars next. ;- ) I rearranged them and had to make a few more but I liked the way they looked at this stage of the game.


The top was square up to this point. I knew I wanted a rectangular quilt in the neighborhood of 60" x 75" when it was done so at this point I picked two sides to elongate and added 3 inch strips to those two sides. Then I pulled out my scrappy six inch Bow Tie blocks to create end borders.


I really like using them in this zig zag formation.


Time for outer borders to finish it up!

I thought this old calico would do the trick.


I was wrong. Almost as soon as I sewed the strips on I took the quilt off the design wall, and worked on something else for a couple of days. In the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't be able to live with this for the final border. I just wasn't willing to face the reality of the situation. Some part of me knew I was going to have to take it all off or change it up somehow.

After sleeping on it for a day or two the solution for changing it up occurred to me. Rather than taking the calico off altogether I cut it down to finish at one inch wide. Then I added the two inch dark red calico border.


Much better. :- )


I found a lovely large scale dark red floral print to back this - didn't get a picture of it for you though, sorry. I'm really pleased with the way this turned out. It's so warm visually. Hopefully the recipient will think so too!

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Outstanding!! Love watching the process evolve . . .

Barbara C said...

Great looking quilt Sue! I love the bow tie blocks at the top and bottom--that' an unexpected but really nice addition.