Thursday, July 28, 2011

Art Therapy

Last week when I wasn't feeling well I occupied myself by sewing red scraps together until I had pieces big enough to cut patches. From this "made fabric" (Victoria and the gang over at 15 Minutes) or reconstructed fabric (Mary Lou Weidman) I cut some 3.5" x 6.5" rectangles.

Then I cut two 3.5" squares and four 2" squares of yellow and turned two of those rectangles into a 6" heart block using the technique I shared with you in this post.

That was one of the blocks that were sitting on my design wall when I returned from the fateful trip wherein I discovered that the cute little house had been repainted (see previous post). I was thinking about the Bead Journal Project and how I could journal about what had happened to the house, in beads, on an ATC. Rummaging through my stash I found a large scrap of a print I felt captured the spirit that house once had. It was too big and too busy for a tiny ATC though. That's when the heart block caught my eye.

After pulling and auditioning several more fabrics I came up with this palette.

My intention is to make a Priority Quilt for AAQI, honoring the spirit of the home's previous owner. I haven't quite settled on the rest of the design or process yet. I spent yesterday catching up a bit on older bead journal projects. That will be a post for another day. ;- )

3 comments:

  1. Great heart! Somehow, I never thought of starting with a 2 rectangles, instead of a square. Your way makes more sense. Thanks, I needed that!

    I like your color scheme. That's a great inspiration fabric.

    I thought that was so sad about that house. I like houses with happy out-of-the-box color schemes. Would have loved to have seen that. I'm glad you're going to try to capture that feeling in your ATC. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon!! I love your Love-heart block

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.