If I were to do it over again I would reverse the positions of the white challenge fabric and the muted floral print.
I finally decided to just chuck the second block I made. The design worked - mostly - but the values were misplaced in the block so the whole thing didn't read well. Live and learn! That will be one block I will not save for an orphan project. I may salvage part of it, but the bulk of it will go in the trash. (And I don't often throw fabric away!)
Speaking of orphan projects, here are a couple more placemats for DD and family:
This house block was from my earliest days as a quiltmaker. A couple of the fabrics in it are not 100% cotton and are very thin. I know better now! I added the strip of ribbon with hearts on it to dress the house up a bit and some scenery on either side to get the desired width for the placemat.
This Log Cabin block was donated for a charity quilt but must have been leftover after the quilt was made. Once again I only had to add a strip or two to bring it up to size. Good primary colors for Miss Margaret to learn her colors from!
Now I have to get back to those gifts I'm making. Holly pointed out that there are only 5 weeks until Christmas, and most of these gifts have to be shipped across country. Ack! Forgive me if I don't make it to your blog very often in the next couple of weeks! ;- )