Saturday, October 15, 2022

Scrap Happy in October

I wasn't sure what I would do for this Scrap Happy Day - hosted by Kate in Australia and Gun in Sweden every month on the 15th, in our respective time zones. Then I remembered some liberated log cabin blocks in the Parts Department. They were made to finish at 6" each. I pulled them out and counted them up. Not enough to do much with on their own but...

I also had some 12" (finished) Lego blocks in the Parts Dept. There were enough of the 6" blocks to create four columns of twelve blocks with only a handful leftover for some other project. Two columns of the Lego blocks smashed together made for a nice wide center section. All I had to do then was figure out what to do about sashing those columns together.

I was tempted to use a single fabric for the sashing, but what color amongst all those bits and colors? In the end I decided a scrappy sashing treatment was in order. Why not go for the whole hog after all? I'd run across large scraps of various green prints in the process of hunting up the right thing. This seemed a prime opportunity to put them to good use.


At this point the flimsy would finish at about 54" wide and 72" long. I'm thinking of a 3" border all the way around to help control the busy and add a bit more territory to the completed quilt. Not sure what that will be yet.

Sorry about the corner of the table obscuring the bottom of the quilt. Until I get all those seam ends secured I don't want to hang the quilt top from the top of the wall where my quilt hangers are. 


I suspect this will be another donation for Wrap Ukraine With Quilts once it gets quilted and bound. 

Scrap Happy Day is open to anyone who wants to share what they've done with scrap materials. Just leave a comment on Kate or Gun's blog as you make the tour of those who regularly participate with us. 😊

KateGun, Eva, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy,  Tracy, 
Jill, Jan, Moira, Sandra, Chris, Alys,
Claire, Jean, Jon, Dawn, Jule, Gwen,
Sunny, Kjerstin, Sue L, Vera,
Nanette, Ann, Dawn 2, Carol,
Preeti, Debbierose, Nóilin and Viv


3 comments:

  1. Varied green sashing looks great, and those pieces are so colourful, it will be another quilt to warm a body and a person's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing!! I just love how many scraps you have used! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, you have an impressive Parts Department! Look at all you’ve created with little bits of fabric. It’s gorgeous.

    I look forward to seeing it completed as a quilt, and bless your heart for donating it to such a great cause.

    Alys

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.