Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Happy Birthday Paula!

Back in February the quilt world lost a kind and giving spirit, Paula Budinger. Today would have been her 79th birthday. Cyber friends of hers have organized a posthumus birthday party in the form of a virtual quilt show and blog hop in her honor. I'm delighted to be participating. 😊

I got to know Paula through the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. We were both actively using our scraps per the monthly color cues for a few years. Paula continued on after I slacked off. As with most things, one quilter inspired another. It was Paula's little boat blocks that got me started making my 6" Ships.


Paula collected vintage doll quilts and sometimes shared what she knew about them on her blog. Mostly her blog posts were about the blocks she was making in conjunction with the RSC or little quilts she might be putting together to donate to Project Linus and others. In her honor I've assembled some postage stamp stars I made for the RSC into this child's quilt:


I've also made a couple of small quilts that will be donated through the Hands2Help quilt drive this year. I believe Paula also participated in H2H. This first one will be going to the Little Lambs Foundation.

The binding is in place but still needs to be sewn down.

This one will be donated to a child in Foster Care.


Janice has organized this quilt show and blog hop. "Door prizes" (birthday presents? 😉) have also been donated! For each comment you leave on any of the participating blogs between now and 15 May your name will be entered in a drawing for one of the prizes. Unfortunately, overseas commenters will only qualify for gift certificates or pattern prizes due to the cost of postage.

Here's the list of blogs posting today:

These bloggers will be posting on Thursday, 7 May:

And these ladies will post on Friday, 8 May:

These are the gifts that have been donated:
Lorna, Sew Fresh Quilts, $50 gift certificate for her pattern shop.
Yvonne Quilting Jetgirl, 2 PDF patterns of choice.
Bernie Needle and Foot, $25 certificate for her shop.
A fat quarter bundle from Figo Fabrics
A set of quilty gift cards from Initial Thought by DMF  Note cards set 1
A pattern of choice from Karen, Sugar Free Quilts
A $30 gift certificate for Doris, Cactus Queen Quilt Co
A PDF pattern of choice from Joanne, www.etsy.com/shop/CanuckQuilterDesigns
$25 gift certificate courtesy of Janice to Fat Quarter Shop

Paula was a very special lady, a nurse before she retired and one who continued to seek out ways to help others ever after. I'm sure she is dearly missed. Her good works are not forgotten. 

50 comments:

  1. I love how bright and happy all your quilts are! Paula would have loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are so colorful and bright. Some child is going to be lucky to have one and cherish it for a long time!
    yoyopattycakes at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love each one of those quilts! A sail boat quilt in the near future for me, but I have to finish quilting a couple others before I let myself move on;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the sale boats quilt , would be great for any boy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cheery quilts!! Enjoy your day!! 🌞🌻🦋 angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the sail boat quilt is terrific! I really like the variety in its design. And the postage stamps and stars is a delicious assortment of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loqqvely way to honor Paula. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE the way you turned your post into a party!! I'm pretty sure that Paula would have liked that very much. Such a wonderful rainbow quilt to donate along with the other two sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of them are so beautiful. I especially love the postage stamp stars. What a lovely way to honor and celebrate Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute quilts! I love the sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful children’s quilts, I wouldn’t know which one to choose, so bright and cheerful, Paula would love them, she loved bright colours. Thank you so much for participating, Paula would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilts. So sorry about Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilts! I especially love the first one, with all the bright colors. A lovely addition to Paula's legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilts and a heartfelt tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilts that are a beautiful tribute to Paula and her generous spirit! Three lucky ones to receive some comfort from your lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What darling quilts you've made! Those ships are really cute.
    I wish I had known Paula to ask her about my Granny's quilts. I never asked Granny any questions about quilting - what a missed opportunity! I loved your post and thank you for more information about Paula. I incorporated some facts that I read about Paula into my post, but I loved your post with your more personal knowledge about her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful quilts! I love them all, especially the first.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyful quilts in tribute to Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rainbow stars is so pretty! And two more quilts, what a great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made so many beauties. It's hard to choose my favorite but they all honor Paula so well. I never knew her but am learning so much about her from all the posts, especially yours'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your colorful quilts will be cheer to those who receive them and are a wonderful way to remember a generous and prolific quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've made three wonderful quilts! Those postage stamp stars are amazing. Thanks for honoring Paula with your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beauties. She will be missed by so many.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lo ve those postage stamp stars, great colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the little boats and how you've incorporated them into the quilts. Loads of love to honor Paula's memory. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the first sail boat quilt the most. Happy heavenly birthday to Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quilts are beautiful and will definitely bring comfort to children in need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The recipients of these quilts will love them! Each quilt is lovely! I really like the stars and the sailboats.

    ReplyDelete
  29. She sounds like a great lady. I read her blogs periodically and enjoyed them. Your quilts are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What wonderful quilts to honor your memories of Paula and her legacy! She would be delighted with the cheerful colors and patterns, and I'm sure very happy to know that she inspired you to make little boat blocks. She was such a sweet blogger. I miss her posts and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the sailboat blocks--I can see how that would inspire some quilty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing your stories of Paula and her projects. The variety and colour of your very different projects is sure to bring much comfort and warmth. They are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for sharing your quilts. Gives me some ideas on the baby quilts I am making.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love a quilt that uses color so well and lets my eye wander all over it...yours do both in great ways! Your quilts will be treasured, for sure and Paula would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  35. All of your quilts are wonderful. I love the colors and variety that you have put into each one! All of my family loves boating so I particularly love that one! Thanks for honoring Paula in such a lovely way!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good works live on after us, especially in the influence we have on others. Sounds as if she was a wonderful influence for good, both in works and in imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many lovely quilts! Love those bright blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the variety of colorful special quilts for various charities. They are a blessing and wonderful tribute to Paula. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your quilt is a wonderful quilt to donate to foster kids. That is a charity that I would choose, also. I may try to join this blog hop next year if it is still happening, as Kate indicated.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sue, you have outdone yourself! I could see the parts department hard at work! What wonderful quilts for these charities, and a great tribute to Paula. Thanks for sharing what you've done. I'm trying to get around to all the blogs and feel bad about not being over here lately. It's that kind of life right now. I HAD to get here today, and I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your postage stamps stars! Thanks for sharing all of these great quilts for donation

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your quilt parade! Such sweet quilts that will bring so much comfort and joy. A friend that I quilt with was a recipient of a quilt when she "aged out" of the Foster program and she cherished (still) that quilt. Thank you for honoring Paula B.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your quilts. What a great way to honor Paula! Right now I have taken a break in my mask making and am making a skinny twin sized quilt which is this year's guild project to all some color to their sterile space. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. your quilts are gorgeous, thank you for sharing and donating them.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I admired all your quilts but particularly the one in the final photo - so beautiful! Thank you for inviting us to visit (from one Magpie to another!!).

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my goodness, I love ALL the quilts you made! Such fun and happy colors! Thank you so much for your fun and happy participation in this memorial for Paula. Your post was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  47. You have been busy. What fortunate recipients to get your quilts. Paula was an inspiration for sure. plenty of mangoes (at) g mail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a lovely thing to do, to make a quilt for a child in foster care. That is the kind of quilty gift that will never be forgotten--the perfect way to carry on the legacy of such a charitable quilter.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.