Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Halloween Is Always A Good Idea

I have been busy putting bindings on quilts and sewing them down. Because they are smaller quilts than I've made historically I don't want to go to the hassle of hanging them in the studio to take their pictures. But wouldn't you know, when I'm finally ready for a photo shoot the weather turned wet. So I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer to see them in all their finished glory. However, I have a new top I can show you. 😊

This began with some Hourglass blocks/units I started making over a year ago as leaders and enders. I didn't have a clue what I would do with them when I began but just cut some black tone on tone prints and assorted yellows, cheddars, and red-oranges. At some point they got set aside when other projects took precedence - before I had enough to really do anything with them. Then I saw someone else's quilt online that used Hourglass blocks between whole cloth squares. That was the inspiration I needed to move this project forward. My Hourglasses finished at 5" so I cut 5.5" squares of more of my more juvenile Halloween prints. In spite of my best efforts I still hadn't used them all up!


Eventually I had equal numbers of Hourglasses and Halloween squares. The next step was to decide how to arrange them.


You can see here I chose to keep all the lighter, yellow Hourglasses in the center of the composition. I did my best to scatter the prints in the holes. I had several squares of some prints but only one or two of others.


This is what I ended up with:


I debated whether to put a framing border around it before calling it done. Nothing in the stash really called out to me for that purpose though. It will be about 50" x 60" if I just bind it the way it is. I have a wonderful diagonal orange stripe in my stash that will make a great binding. What sealed the deal was learning we are to have a new grandbaby in October. What could be more perfect?! 😁 The child may not be ready for a quilt of this size for a year or so but you can never have Halloween too often or too early in my opinion!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and the new parents. I love that final layout, this will be a treasure for many years. Super colours to go with the black prints, a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Halloween baby! I love how optical illusion works in this quilt. The photo that shows all the hourglass blocks laid out, with just a few of the dark prints illustrates this particularly well. The blocks without the dark wholecloth filler are clearly hourglasses. Add the filler and they're suddenly yellow bowties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you set those colors Sue, it really looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.