Monday, July 15, 2019

Scrap Happy in July

Scrap Happy Day is hosted by Kate and Gun on the 15th of each month. Gun's in Sweden, Kate's in Australia, and the rest of us are somewhere inbetween. 😉This began as a way to show how we've used our quilt making scraps but has expanded to include other makers and other materials. There's a whole world of possibilities out there!

I thought I'd only have a few blocks to share this time around. These will be added to my Parts Department to be incorporated into one or more quilts in the future.


I assemble these blocks between sewing the seams of other projects. It's an ongoing leader/ender project.


We've had some pretty poor air quality lately. When it's hard to think due to toxic exposures sometimes I will put together a postage stamp block or two using the 1.5" squares I've cut from scraps. In addition to the stars above I have another baker's dozen postage stamp units waiting to be turned into stars (or something else I suppose, but most likely stars). They will also go into the Parts Dept. for future use.

Then it dawned on me that one of the quilts I'm working on at the moment is technically a scrap project. These 10" Wrench blocks were made from larger pieces of yardage I've had forever (although the background fabric is new yardage).


The quilt plan I've devised calls for sashing these into columns of seven blocks each. There will be four of those columns. They will be separated by three columns of six inch blocks and the whole thing will eventually be surrounded by a whole-cloth border. That may have to be purchased, we'll see. In the meantime, of the options I considered for those alternate columns I finally decided to use up more of the plaids from the Wrench blocks by cutting them up into 2.5" squares for checkerboard columns.


I don't know why this picture turned out so dark! 
I've thrown in some brown squares I found in my scrap boxes. I've also made a few of the Shoo-fly blocks I typically make from scraps. 😊


I know I've used up at least two plaids with this project, maybe more. I'm doing much better than I thought!

Here's the link list for others who may have done wonderful things with their scrap materials: 😊
 Kate  Gun, TittiHeléneEva, Nanette, Lynn, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy, Debbierose, Tracy, Jill, Claire, JanKaren,
Moira, SandraLindaChrisNancy, Alys, Kerry, Claire, Jean, Johanna,
Joanne, Jon, HayleyDawn, Gwen, Connie, Bekki, Pauline and Sue L.





3 comments:

  1. Love the plaid column, and those muted colours are beautiful in every block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wrenches will make an elegant and beautifully subtle man's quilt, I think. I've always found it fascinating that you're able to simply make blocks without a final purpose in mind, which is the explanation for the mighty and glorious Parts Department! But my favourite block of what you've shown today is the orange pumpkins block, top left in the first photo... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things go so busy, I didn't get a dedicated Scrap Happy post done, but scraps are always ongoing here, too. I like ALL your blocks! The postage stamp stars are something I keep thinking I will make a leader-ender, so maybe when the current round of log cabin furrow blocks are finished, I'll be able to start that. Your wrench quilt is going to be amazing and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.