Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Scrap Happy in August

It's time for our monthly display of scrappy goodness hosted by Kate and Gun. To see who else is participating you can hop over to Kate's blog. Not everyone works with fabric!

I've sewn nearly all the 6" Bow Tie blocks from my Parts Dept. into 12" circles.


Then it took a couple of days of arranging and rearranging them on the design wall to come up with a layout I was happy with.


I wanted to keep the lighter backgrounds in the middle of the quilt top. It was hard to get the blocks balanced, distributed evenly. The lighter ones always seemed to be clustered near one end. Eventually I hit upon an arrangement I could live with. 


This made the top 60" x 72." To make this more useful, say for a teen graduating from the foster care system, I wanted to add a bit of length. Another night of cogitation brought up the idea of creating a fringe effect by using a stripey print.


So now I have a 60" x 80" top. 


I also have a print ready to be pieced to make the back. That print is of dogs of various types and sizes. It's just occurred to me that these Bow Tie Circles could be seen as dog collars! After all, every dog ought to have a bow tie or a necklace to wear. 😉

I've made a few new blocks for the Parts Dept. recently too.


One of these days I'll have to see what I can do with them!



8 comments:

  1. This quilt design is so effective. Your nights of cogitation are obviously very fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your final arrangement of the blocks is perfect, and the use of that stripy border top and bottom to imitate fringe is inspired! This is a lovely quilt, and one I wouldn't mind at all myself! Beautiful work, and remarkable that the Parts Department has come up trumps yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt Sue! I love bow tie blocks set like this, and yours has a modern feel with the way you centered the light backgrounds. The recipient will love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so clever! I love the way the centres change from dark to light and then back again. As Barbara says, it has a modern feel to it. Lucky person who has this on his ('cos it has a good masculine feel to it) bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt top looks grand, and I like the idea that it's dog collars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you laid this out Sue! And the bow ties could even go as specialized dog bones!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.