Thursday, April 26, 2018

No Longer A UFO!

I have avoided the accumulation of UFO's (UnFinished Objects) since I accepted the fact that staying home is the best way for me to stay able-bodied. It's much easier to start and stay with a project when you don't have the distractions of work or other outside commitments. So there was a bit of psychic discomfort over the fact that I started and then stalled on a quilt for almost two years.

It all began with this darling panel:


When I first started working with it I added flying geese across the top and bottom.


Then I made sawtooth stars with fussy cut centers to frame the panel.


It was after I'd sewn these stars together and to the panel that I truly got stuck. The flimsy hung in the closet for nearly a year. When I  brought it out again last summer I decided to make Bear Paw units to create another framing border. I chose a whimsical print that was just waiting for the right project to come along. I used fussy cut images from that print for the pads of the bear's paws...


But of course there weren't enough to go all the way around the quilt top. I was also concerned about sufficient contrast between the block and the background. So the paws and the flimsy were put away again.

I needed some fairly mindless work to keep me distracted from headaches earlier this week. I decided to just make more Bear Paw units out of the overall print I'd used for the claws in the fussy cut blocks. I also used a quieter background for the new paws. At the end of day one I finally had enough to go all the way around the flimsy. The next day I arranged the paws down the sides of the quilt, using more of that black Moda marble as sashing. Things were looking better by this time.


Yesterday I created the top and bottom borders out of the remaining bear's paws. That's when I also decided to frame the whole thing with a narrow border of the print I'd used between the stars and the paws at the top and bottom. There was just enough of that old print to do the job. 😀

Tadaa!


I was really worried about this project at various points during construction. Now I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's officially a twin size top, so larger than I've been accustomed to making of late. I haven't yet chosen a backing fabric for it. I suspect this will be custom quilted rather than the usual meander or overall quilting my quilts generally get. James will have a chance to flex his creative quilting muscles for a change!


7 comments:

  1. The Princess on a Pea, now fit for a Queen, love the way you chose and used the extra fabric to frame this, and indeed, James will have a great time quilting the whole finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes quilts just need to marinate a bit to reach their full potential. This one was worth the wait! Can't wait to see what James adds to it - it really does call out for the custom quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good things come to those who wait -- this is magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you finished this one, and the bear paws are wonderful! A little ingenuity, a little of this fabric, a little of that, and voilà! A magnificent medallion quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is cute as can be. You really pulled this panel to a new level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like he final result of this quilt!!! The panel in the middle is so cute!! Glad you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has turned out beautifully! Thanks for showing us your process, starting with the gorgeous panel xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to my health issues I am frequently unable to respond to your comments but please know that I do try to acknowledge your thoughtful responses. I cannot respond to 'no-reply' bloggers either, much to my frustration.