Quilter's Attention Deficit Disorder has struck again. This time in the form of the Sketchbook Project for 2013. I received the email that the organizers were ready to send out the books for next year's project, and what must I do but respond almost immediately. In spite of my complete failure last year to create a sketchbook much less send one in. In my defense, I think I got spooked by the lined pages in the book I chose last year. When I placed my order I had lots of ideas but they seemed to evaporate once I had the book in my hot little hands.
This year the organizers have given prospective participants the option not to declare a category for their sketchbook when they sign up. They've always said the categories were more a suggestion or jumping off point than something to be strictly adhered to. They were meant as inspiration, not directive. I admit to being intimidated by the category labels in the past. When I ordered my sketchbook this year I went for "Undecided." Perhaps it will fit into a category when it is finished.
I also made the decision not to try to fill my sketchbook with line drawings or other forms of paper art. I am a fiber artist and I want my sketches to demonstrate that. I'm also trying very hard to keep in mind the origins of the sketchbook - or what I believe them to be at any rate. With the advent and popularity of art journaling I think the concept of a sketchbook has become obscured. It is my belief that a sketchbook was meant to capture and work out ideas, not be a formal presentation of polished art work. To that end I'm trying to keep my fabric sketches experimental and loose. This first one is simply rectangles of scraps stitched to the page. I like the juxtaposition of pattern lines in the two prints.
The next one is a bit of piecing I did years ago. I was playing with triangles cut from that same wavy stripe. It didn't turn into anything at the time but it is a perfect example of experimental piecing!
I still have that wavy stripe in my stash so I decided to work in a series, at least for a little while. ;- )
This one started with another tiny triangle, this time of the Hellbucket print. I just happened to find another print, in which I was able to isolate the word 'not.' I decided to introduce a bit of color this time around too.
Yesterday I created this page:
Once again I started with scraps of the Hellbucket print. Then I just worked out of my scrap basket to create my "house on a hill." I want desperately to embellish this with beads but there are restrictions for the Sketchbook Project. You may notice that this hasn't been stitched to the page yet. I'm going to wait a bit to decide whether I want to include it in the book or not. And by waiting I'm giving my subconscious a chance to figure out how to embellish the composition with decorative or free motion stitching on my sewing machine instead of beads!