Monday, December 13, 2010

More Sunshine!

Woohoo! Did you see Michele's comment on my Monkeyshines post? Quilters have made a real difference in the fight to fend off Alzheimer's disease. My brain is a little muddled from a toxic exposure this morning but my interpretation is that the $30,000 that was raised from our little quilts was given to researchers at the University of Michigan. To quote Michele:

Because of our funding, Dr Lim and her team were able to create new
molecular tools that show promise for cleansing the brain of amyloid plaques.
These plaques, a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease, are clumps of misfolded
proteins thought to cause cell death leading to devastating memory loss and
cognitive decline. Finding ways to cross through the blood brain barrier is
something I have been reading about for years and here this team has worked out
a means and a method that might significantly alter Alzheimer's research from
now on!


I couldn't be happier that I have in some small way helped contribute to this breakthrough. And now I want to go make another Priority Quilt!

I just found the AAQI blog post telling the good news. Go check it out HERE. Hooray!!!

1 comment:

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.