This particular piece of flannel wasn't strong enough to withstand the abuse. A couple of nearby seams were also compromised.
With the change of seasons upon us I decided it was time to tackle this repair job, intimidating though it was.
Originally I thought I'd just replace the central strip of patches. Once I got the block out of the quilt (which was only tied, not quilted) I realized that one half of the block would also have to be discarded.
After I assembled a replacement section I discovered that the new half was actually bigger than the original half. It didn't look all that good with the original half either. So I remade the second half of the block as well.
The most challenging part was putting the block back into the top. I had to take out a few additional ties to free up more of the top to get it under the sewing machine. The final seam had to be hand stitched in place.