Monday, May 1, 2023

Shoo-fly Stars

I've been pairing up the background patches and star point triangles I cut from remnants with the most scrappy shoo-fly blocks from the Parts Department. A few other blocks have been assembled along the way as well.

The shoo-fly stars will finish at 12", the smaller stars 8", and the Hole in the Barn Door blocks will be 6" finished.
 

I've continued cutting patches for backgrounds, star points, cats, and the smaller shoo-fly and barn door blocks.

I have over just over 35 shoo-fly stars made so far. It's not out of the realm of possibility that there will be well over 50 stars before I run out of patches to use.

At this point I have no idea what size or how many quilts I may make with these blocks. Since the backgrounds are all so different it will be a great temptation to just set the blocks side by side. It might be a challenge (for me) to find something to separate the stars. Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to see what I can come up with - when the time comes. Possibly one quilt will get sashing and another will not. I tend to prefer busy quilt tops personally but the stars may benefit from a bit of breathing room. Thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. Lately I've been thinking of using very narrow sashing just because it is easier than sewing stars point to point. Have not tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend not to use sashing unless totally necessary - just my take. Your blocks look SO good together on the design wall! Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sashing or not, alternate blocks or not, this is going to be a beautiful quilt, no not about that! Sashing or alternates do give the seams a place to rest, and save a tussle there, but you are an experienced quilter and can handle that, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.