Tuesday, March 29, 2022

More Mindless Sewing

 I carried on with the Butterfly and 4 Patch blocks to get to this point:

I have more HST's cut, but they are of a different print. If I stretch my palette I could make more 4 Patch blocks too. I was ready for a slight change of pace however. The flimsy would finish 36" wide and 42" long at this stage. I did debate whether to go for 48" in length but oddly enough that just seemed to complicated things. Three by six inch flying geese units accommodate both dimensions if I lay them out on their ends:

Which I quite like! And now I get to use up some of my orange remnants. Plus, the way I make flying geese works very well as leaders and enders, or for sewing between the seams of other projects. I don't go so far back as to use templates, but I do work in what is probably now considered an old fashioned method. I cut 7.25" squares from the geese prints and then cut those on the diagonal in both directions to make quarter-square triangles. For the background or sky patches I cut 3.875" half-square triangles. I have a stack of both near the sewing machine now so I can take this flimsy off the wall and go back to one of the other quilts I have in progress. I want one of those to be a surprise for the recipient so you won't be seeing it here until after it's been gifted. 😉

I'm trying to be good about not doing one type of activity for an extended period of time to avoid aggravating my carpal tunnel and other physical issues. Sure slows the process down! (Not that I was ever as prolific as some folks seem to be.)


2 comments:

  1. Leader enders really do help make a quilt happen without us realizing it. I use that method all the time (or at least as often as projects permit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the contrast you have happening here, the rich orange with the teals. This quilt is going to make someone very happy! Take care with your carpal tunnel, pain like that is hard to live with.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.