Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Scrap Happy in May

I've finally been able to do some actual piecing! Kate has undertaken to make yet another quilt to raise funds for ovarian cancer research in her part of Australia. She's soliciting star blocks featuring teal prints on cream backgrounds, any technique, the scrappier the better. To that end I started piecing some little 1.5" squares together into three inch 9 Patch blocks, Those became the centers for liberated stars, six inches each.


They turned out to be rather squat stars! Then I found a 16 patch unit I'd pieced at some point in the past. I used it for the center of this Ohio Star variation:


I've been piecing 1.5" strips together into what I'm calling stick blocks as my current leader/ender project. Finished up the single Shoo-fly block I had patches cut for too.


Mind you, these four blocks were made over the space of probably four months. One seam at a time. So-o-o slowly. I have to admit that having made the two star blocks over the space of two days has taken its' toll. {sigh} Time to rest the shoulder again. It's hard to stop when you're having fun!

Scrap Happy Day is organized by Kate and Gun. You can see what they and others have been doing with their scraps by clicking on their names below. Be prepared for lots of inspiration!

KateGun, TittiHelĂ©neEva, Nanette, Lynn, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy, Debbierose, Tracy, Jill, Claire, JanKaren,
Moira, SandraLindaChrisNancy, Alys, Kerry, Claire, Jean, Johanna,
Joanne, Jon, HayleyDawn, Gwen, Connie, Bekki, Pauline and Sue L.



7 comments:

  1. Persistence is highly under-rated. Good for you for doing what you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're streets ahead of the rest of us with your star blocks: one major advantage of the Parts Department right there! I love the twinkle of those centres, too, just perfect. And your scrappy 'sticks' are lovely as well, but do be careful with that shoulder, it's clearly not fully mended yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Sue, you were quick off the mark with your stars. They're gorgeous, those tiny scrappy squares really make them twinkle. Glad to hear you were able to do a little sewing, but take it easy on your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What!? You're off the starting blocks with your stars already! I was just thinking about doing one of mine today and I thought I'd be ahead of the game. Rest that shoulder now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I like the idea of sewing several smaller starts onto one block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pace yourself Sue! Stop before you need to, set the timer if you must. It is hard to stop when having such a good time!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.