Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Easing Back Into Piecing

My local quilt guild has been working on a project for the community. They've been making Christmas stockings to be distributed to Meals on Wheels clients during the season. When it was first announced my shoulder injury was fresh so I declined to participate. Now they're very close to the goal of 250 stockings but not quite there. My abilities are still limited but much improved so I decided to see what I could do. I understand a lot of the stockings are whole cloth, front and back. Sorry, but that's too boring for me. 😉Plus this was an opportunity for me to use up (or at least use) holiday prints I've had far too long.

I started with what I believe is a Debbie Mumm print. I had a fat quarter. The angels are large-enough scale that I couldn't figure out how to use them at the time. For example, this angel is 8" tall. The stocking is about 12.5" tall overall.


I completed that stocking over the course of a day. Any other time I probably could have had it done in a matter of a few hours (or less!). This next one was built over three days. I was involved in some household chores at the time and had to pace myself.


During the process of making this one I came to realize what some of the movements are that aggravate my shoulder. Picking up my 6" x 24" ruler with my right hand is one of them. Of course I've set my studio up the most efficient way possible to accommodate my right handedness. {sigh} I will have to continue to go slowly with my piecing activities. These stocking fronts were foundation pieced onto muslin, so aside from fussy cutting the angels it wasn't too bad. It was laying out and cutting the backs and lining pieces that became problematic even though I used scissors for that process. Still, this is a step in the right direction. 😊


5 comments:

  1. Love them both, and what a delightful gift to be given to those who are maybe house-bound MOW as some call them down here, are sometimes the one contact many people have in a week, those who live alone, family living too far away to visit regularly. Take are with that shoulder, the hidden injuries are not easy to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are able to do a little more of what you love....and that you have found a wonderful place for your angel. I think my favourite is the second one, as I especially love the way you have done the toe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those stockings, and what a great idea to be giving them as part of meals on wheels... it is so hard when you have to slow down for injuries.. I hope you will heal quickly xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've found something small to ease yourself back into it slowly, and they're lovely as a Christmas gift to someone who may no longer have anyone to give them gifts. On the subject of picking up that big ruler; I recently saw this and thought what a good idea it was as a way of keeping rulers close at hand without having to reach for or lift them. I'm sure you can get something similar closer to home, but if not and you'd like one, do let me know:
    (https://www.ozquilts.com.au/matildas-own-wooden-ruler-stand-3mm-thick-slots-by-matildas-own.html)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea from Kate - I use a toast rack but having specially sized slots on a purpose built item would be better.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.