Friday, October 19, 2018

Turkey Tracks and Quilter's Elbow

I recently showed my newest Turkey Tracks blocks...


That brought the number in my collection up to 42. Originally I thought I would set the blocks the traditional way, with narrow sashing and cornerstones. Then Kate left a comment on that post that got me to thinking. She suggested a single fabric in a strong color, leaving out the cornerstones. I didn't have a clue what I could use that would tie all the blocks together so I put them on the wall to see what there was.


My first reaction was that a straight grid setting would just be boring.  I also considered a strippy set with columns of the Turkey Tracks blocks alternated with possibly a colorful, large scale print. That would leave enough blocks leftover for another small quilt.

Then I went for broke and tried a diagonal setting.


This picture does not include all the blocks, nor are the colors distributed evenly, but this setting made my heart sing. 😊 Plus I can set the blocks side by side, just the way I prefer (no sashing or cornerstones at all!). I'll use more white-on-white for the setting triangles, then maybe a colorful border or frame and border.

I've had to take the blocks down for the time being. The next time I feel really well I'll put them up again and try for a pleasing distribution of the colors and prints. I've only done a few diagonal set quilts in the past but it shouldn't be too challenging. The worst part may be cutting the large triangles and then any border strips. This is where Quilter's Elbow comes into the story. It's a sharply painful condition in my left elbow. The doctor diagnosed it as Golfer's Elbow. I've only ever played Putt Putt golf, and the last time I did that has to be more than 35 years ago. So I've renamed the condition Quilter's Elbow. I suspect I injured that arm when I fell a few months ago but didn't notice the injury because other body parts hurt worse. Then I exacerbated the injury by continuing to use that hand and arm for rotary cutting and such. Now I'm trying to give the elbow a chance to heal. Sure makes for slow progress on my creative endeavors!



6 comments:

  1. Yikes - our bodies do slow us down when they hurt. Love the setting you've proposed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them on the diagonal, it shows those blocks so well,and no sashing is so right. Your elbow, hope it heals soon,I had something like Tennis Elbow, but again had not played since I was a teenager at a very small country place. It healed in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The diagonal setting is brilliant! Such a good choice, and absolutely no need for cornerstones :-) Take care of that elbow; no cutting for a bit. It's all too easy to injure yourself without realising the damage could be lasting. We need you in good shape to make many more beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so much nicer in a diagonal setting ! It's going to look great !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no.... quilter's elbow does not sound fun, and you were making so much progress! But take a break and hopefully you'll heal up soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love that on-point setting! Perfect!
    Hope your elbow feels better soon. Rest certainly can't hurt. (About 20 years ago I had 'tennis elbow', but it was actually 'pizza cook elbow' since that was my job at the time. (I haven't played tennis since the late 60's...))

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.