Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Parts Dept. Strikes Again

On Sunday I was inspired to see if I could pull together a quilt for Hospice from my Parts Department. Specifically, I wanted to see if I could make another masculine style quilt. I knew there were some Churn Dash or Wrench blocks that might fit the bill so I started by getting out the bag of miscellaneous blocks that will finish at ten inches each. I knew I'd need 30 blocks total, and these got me almost halfway there.


Next I got out the bag of 7.5" blocks. I figured I could frame them up to ten inches and use them as alternate blocks to flesh out the quilt top. There were just enough Churn Dashes already made up in appropriate prints and colors. I even found some yardage I thought would work for those framing strips.


Unfortunately, when I had most of the smaller blocks built up to size and started laying them out according to plan I didn't like the results I was getting. It just didn't click. I think the framing strips were too narrow to pull off the vision I had in mind. I continued moving things around until eventually I stumbled onto this:


I was much happier with this arrangement; it felt right. It didn't take all that long to sew the blocks into rows and then the rows into this flimsy either. It's only 5 x 6 blocks, for a top that will finish 50" x 60." A narrow binding should finish it off nicely.


All I have to do now is come up with a back and some batting!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely final layout, and so manly, this will be much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always helpful when the quilt lets you know what it wants, even if that's completely different from what you originally thought! I love the finished result, and I'm sure James will do his usual amazing job with the quilting - nothing too floral, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt Sue, I like the layout you went with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look at your first photo I wonder how it will come to anything (I am not a quilter!). Then I see how you have worked to make it all come together, and can only admire your vision ~ and patience! And generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great, Sue! Your spare parts always make such lovely quilts that anyone would love to have!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.